solo TR setup

Ireneo_Funes

All the devices you have mentioned I have tried, The Ushba basic ascender is by far the best Tope rope device , the rope slides easly through the device, it does not require a chest sling, it hooks right to a biner in your harness, is rope friendly , light in weight , is also used as an accender, is cheaper than other devices .the biner hole is small so less likely to crosslaod with a pearbiner . I have been using the Ushba for three years putting up new routes with out a problem. DO NOT use it for leading

I have a soloist I will sell you, once I got the Ushba I let Yoder use it pitty.gif be careful if you use the soloist it is easy to make mistakes with it.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of a steel quicklink, consider the DMM Belaymaster carabiner. Lighter, easier to use, and cross-load-proof. Plus a quicklink would probably seize if you took a hard fall onto it.

Also a grigri self-feeds on TR if you use a reasonably skinny line with the end weighted. I tie an overhand on a bight every once in a while in the free end of the rope-- this provides a backup if the cam does not activate, and leaves the slack rope hanging below you so that the grigri can still self-feed.

Plus a quicklink would probably seize if you took a hard fall onto it.

You sure about this? I mean, wouldn't you have to weigh several hundred lbs, be climbing on static rope, and take a fairly long fall to make one of these bend enough to seize the threads? Seems an average size adult falling on a dynamic rope simply wouldn't generate the needed kNs to tweak a quicklink.

What diameter of you talking about... I think mine is about a 3/8" stock.... maybe I'm just using equipment from the "dumbo the elephant collection"? confused.gif

• 4 months later...