Charlet Sarken

Chriznitch

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two pairs: one in sidelock and one in spirlock. The sidelock will work on your koflachs (but check the height of the back rand... this can void the sidelock design working with your boot). If your Makalus have had a few miles on them they will be to soft for the crampon... always make sure your boot is more stiff than your crampon. If your makalus are newer the sidelock will work.

I am confused by your question "good design"... can you clarify?

Putting the sarken on the makalu and then trying to alpine climb (mixed rock, steep snow/ice) is like putting a V8 engine in a golf cart... its overkill and if anything the golf cart will self destruct well before you reach the limits of the engine. What I'm getting at is the sarken is a sweet crampon for the alpine but its performance will be limited by the boot you put it on... the makalu sports a beefy leather upper which will prevent you from flexing/rotating your ankle... something you will need to do on genuine mixed terrain.

Once the makalu softens up (generally a few seasons) its nothing more than a beefy back packing boot. I made the mistake of buying a pair at 15 when I was an aspiring OR mountaineer pitty.gif never again!

What are a few routes you are looking at using the sarken on? I have a feeling you could get by with less...

I've been curious about sarkens, being a newbie climbing with sabretooths so far, mostly in Sierra ice gullies, on neve and water ice. Will Gadd's book makes it seem like I'm very unlikely to get any benefit out of sarkens vs. the bd's due to the vertical frontpoints, but the light weight sounds good. Does it seem like they shear out easier than horz. frontpoints ?

Sarkens have vertical front points mounted underneath horizontal front points... the vertical points poke out a few millimeters beyond the tip of the horizontal points... hot shit. Best of both worlds and they are lighter than other companies models. Look at a pair next time you are in a shop...

Dru: yelrotflmao.gifpitty.gif

Sarkens have vertical front points mounted underneath horizontal front points... the vertical points poke out a few millimeters beyond the tip of the horizontal points...

No they don't. They have a front point with a T shaped cross section. Which is nothing new, DMM and Grivel have them too.

You can buy your own Fruit Boots for $300 or so

Or buy a pair of used skates from a thrift store, ($20), carefully remove the skate part and bolt the front plate of some old Poons to the sole. It's like rock climbing in tight slippers instead of mountain boots! yelrotflmao.giffruit.gif

• 2 weeks later...
really? I thought they were wider horizontally than the G14's

I got a pair of spirlock sarken's in the mail yesterday and had a look. The frontpoint hoods do look wider than the g14's. Looks to me like a horizontal frontpoint crampon that has had vertical sections welded on to the bottom. I like the idea, but obviously haven't tried them to see how my noob footwork fares in them.

Unfortunately, the spirlock binding didn't live up to my high hopes - no matter how I adjusted the length or tinkered with the bail and bail holes I couldn't keep the back end from flopping around on my boots, and decided to just send 'em back rather than try pounding the bail with a hammer or something. Maybe will look at the leverlock at some point, or try out the 'wirelock' that AMH says they have on their website.

I just bought a pair too--the sidelocks.

The sidelock mechanism is pretty weird and seems a little flimsy, but once I got it locked it seemed pretty secure. Definitely after you tuck it under the strap.

Anyways, after I try them I'll try to offer up an easy to understand, helpful comment!

i had to carve back the underside edges of the heel blocks on my boots a bit to get the spirlock side-arms to engage, but now that they'll go on, they seem secure. the leverlock is probably easier to use. i don't look forward to fiddling these on at -15ºC in a foot of fresh snow.

only used 'em one day on the seracs at baker and was quite impressed by how they placed. i guess the big advantage is lightness - the big DISadvantage is they're light because they are "unit" crampons, i.e., no interchangeable points - when they're gone, the crampons are dead. judging from how fast i wear back the front points on my G-14s, the sarken's might not have a long life. we'll see over the winter how durable the metal is.

cheers,

Good points Don... mine seem to be holding up so far. Just a heads up Petzl sells replacement front pieces which might save you a few bucks over buying a whole new crampon... also the heel piece of the sarken is identical to the dart (which petzl also sells replacement front pieces for) so instead of kicking for 2 pairs of pons just buy one pair plus a front piece for the other and then rotate the front piece: mono or dual.