Red Rocks Vegas

Paul_detrick

Hey could someone help me out please? I am going to be in Vegas on the 23rd of Rocktober to the 30th. Am getting married on the 23rd and would like to climb with my new wife. She is new to climbing, so I thought if I could find some mod. sport climbs we could spend a day climbing, Mod (5.6 to 5.10). There use to be a cc poster from there, was hoping he could help. If not are there any walls close to parking? Would a guide be out of the question? Just to show us around. Does anyboby know one down there. I know i'm being lazy but we don't want to spend more than one day at it. Thanks for any help. Paul

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, you are getting married on my birthday. Congrats.

Panty Wall has lots of easy sport climbs 5.6-5.10. It is located at the first pullout on the Red Rocks park loop road.

Ultraman Wall has a few good 5.8/9 sport routes. It is also accessed via the first pullout.

Calico Basin has good stuff too and it is outside the park so you don't have to pay the entry fee.

The Falcon guide "Rock Climbing Red Rocks" by Todd Swain is the book I have. It's pretty good.

Check out this thread.

yeah, the first and second pullouts have the best moderate sport climbs. the black corridor off of the second pullout has lots of routes from 5.9 up to a couple 5.12s and gets shade all day. and you should definitely get the falcon guide. it's the best. i actually just got back last weekend from red rocks. if you are doing trad too, theres lots in the moderate range in calico basin. if i'm remembering correctly from what i read in the book, panty wall has moderate trad routes too. good luck. congrats on your marriage.

-james

There is great hike from the sandstone quarry back towards Calico basin. Lots of easy trail and just a bit of boulder hopping. And plenty of sport climbs here and there along the way in a more private setting. The Falcon guide is really good. Congrats and good luck on getting her into climbing.

If you want to spend big bucks, you can get a great guide from AAI. I called them two days before I had to go to the hell hole of Vegas for a buddy's wedding, and they hooked me up with one of their guides for a one day private session. But you don't sound like you need a guide. I don't think they have a "just show around" plan or rate.

Paul,

Lance_Granite is the one you want to PM, he's the Vegas resident cc.comer.

The popular sporto areas are all really close to the road and involve minimal to zero elevation gain. Most are a ten minute walk, if that. The first and second pullouts on the loop road both have plenty of routes to fit your agenda. Calico Basin does as well, and is probably a little easier to find things. I don't think a guide is necessary at all if you have a guidebook and figure out where you want to go ahead of time.

Someone mentioned the Black corridor, which is a crag at one of the pullouts. It's got fun stuff, but it's often 20 degrees colder in there than on the adjacent crags that get sun (literally a 2 minute walk away). I've not seen the Falcon guide, there are 3 or 4 RR guidebooks out there, but I can say I haven't been overly impressed with the Swain guide FWIW. I think it's often confusing.

Oh yeah, congratulations! thumbs_up.gif

Cannibal crag.

The best after work, easy hike, good view, walk around to the top-rope rock in all of Red Rocks.

If I may throw in my personal opinion: just take her scrambling.

It's low tech and way more fun than technical climbing.

The savy might bring a short chunk of rope to ease the way past hard bits.

Really good fun!

Go in the afternoon and watch the sunset from atop the hill above Red Springs, the city beginning to glow in the distance...

PS: take TWO headlamps!