Petzl Laser Sonic Ice Screw

dbb

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought a 17cm last season and I wasn't overly impressed. I found the angle and size of the hangar made it difficult for me to use it to drive the screw, and I'm not a fan of cleaning them with a draw attached. That said there are some nice features; they start easily and the cores clean very easily.

I placed one a few times on glacial ice earlier this year, and they're not quite as quick and easy as the BD Turbo-Express's. Agree with Ice climber, the bracket doesn't work that well as a crank handle to drive it in.

On the upside I like the hanger design better for clipping and it will take 2 biners instead of just one.

Chriss, you're welcome to play with mine and see how they rack next time we go out.

Has anybody used the DMM Revolution screws? I wasn't aware of these (bought the Petzl while looking for something else just to take advantage of the sale) but they look to have nice features like color-coded handles (for size), a huge handle with no moving parts for clipping, and whose hole can be used as an emergency rap device (a la figure 8). And they list $13 cheaper than the Petzl.

84.jpg

drC

You'd really have to watch where that thing is pointin' when rappelling with one of those! shocked.gif

Thanks for the info, sounds like they could use a little refinement. I've heard really good things about the DMM as well, they just seem hard to find?

Yep, rappelling would require some focus smile.gif

BTW the Petzl screw is on sale again at backcountry.com for $44 (no tax outside UT, free shipping over $50) . The DMM revolution one is on sale at Northern Mountain Supply for $39.50 (no tax outside CA).

If someone can figure out whether one of those two really outperforms the other one, I'd like to know. BC.com will let me return the Petzl unused (which they are).

And Marmot lists the DMM on their Web site so maybe that's the place to go look at them and get some beta if the guys there have used them.

drC