St. Helens Eruption

Jake

There was a rescue on Mt. Hood yesterday from someone falling down over the bergschrund. While we were up there a HUGE amount of the Steel Cliffs came crashing off. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, the scale was incredible. This happened along with debris fall I have not witnessed before on the mountain. I can only speculate that this was due to the seismic events up on Helens.

The end is upon us. Events of biblical proportions. Mark and Brian were right predicting our end.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While we were up there a HUGE amount of the Steel Cliffs came crashing off. <snip> I can only speculate that this was due to the seismic events up on Helens.

That's interesting. Skiing on the *clearing throat noise* mighty Muir snowfield on Thursday we witnessed a surprisingly amount of rock fall higher on Rainier. Then today (Friday) I was on the Palmer (w/ that TAY group you may/may not have seen the day prior), we saw a giant dust cloud coming from the southside of Steel Cliffs that must have been caused by rock fall. I didn't hear the rock fall but the dust cloud stuck around for quite a while.

Do you think the wet weather from the past month may be a factor? A lot of snow has melted off the southside of Hood in the past 9 days.

Yeah I bet as the vertical rubble was drying out, it lost a lot of its strength, a lot like how sand falls over as it dries losing its ideal angle of repose.

So much of that stuff is just teetering up there, I bet even minor seismic activity over at Helens was enough energy to tip the balance. The same activity was very noticable on Rainier seismic stations at Longmire and Camp Schurman so I bet you could tie increased activity up there with St. Helens. There's a thesis in here somewhere...

I did talk with some folks who were staying at Silcox Hut as we were bringing that climber down. Seemed like a nice group of people, but what a bunch of skiing hardcases! I told the lone telemarker not to take any sh!t from the AT skiers. I was jealous of the skiing going on as I had to walk down.

• 3 weeks later...