Status of Lost guy in Enchantments

Greg_W

Yea, three different incidents.

The guys on Stuart may have been a day overdue, family went in to "help", mother had to be flow out of Stuart Lk, they walked out.

The missing hiker went in to Lk Stuart or Colchuck on 9/9 to come out the 11th or 12th. Permit was for the lakes but he said he might go into the Enchantments. Search started on the 16th after he was reported overdue and has been ongoing since. A great deal of manpower and support on this one but no sign of him (including gear or camp). The entire Enchantment high country has been searched as well as Stuart and Colchuck high routes, obscure drainages, etc. Efforts are winding down.

The hiker in the Sawtooths was on a solo backbacking trip. I don't know any more that what was in the paper - his body was discovered with his dog.

Obviously the weather has been a little funky in the high country the past two weeks. Whether this has contributed to any of these is unknown right now.

What are the chances of getting information on where they have searched and where there might be reason to search some more? Perhaps some of us with a need to just get out and hike could use the info to informally continue the search.

Hey Bug, we gave a couple of the Rescue Workers a ride back to their car last weekend when we were there for the ropeup, and they said this guys kids wouldn't even climb with him because he makes it a habit of getting lost. If you guys are heading up to help and want some company, I've got 4 weeks of PTO time to kill by the end of the year. Let me know! I'd love ot help out.

I sure hope they find em...all of them that are lost, I mean frown.giffrown.gif

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he is out for a long day hike. There was no lunch food left at camp and the stove etc were put away and covered like he intended to be away for awhile. Looking out from where his camp was, or the top of the rock nearby where he ate a dinner, I saw a basin up Colchuck ridge that looked accessable to a backpacker but with a few cliffs to avoid here and there. From there, it would be easy to hike up the ridge a ways until you get to some outcrops. Just my two cents.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/191851_tl122.html

They don't say what happened though. Maybe this isn't the same? Where are boiling and bernice lakes?

Boiling lake and Bernice lake both feed Prince creek, from the sawtooths area, NE of lake chelan. This would be along the summit trail between Star peak and Mt. Bigelow. A lot of open area in the 7-8.5thousand foot range, but not a huge amount of technical mountaineering possibilites. I'm wondering if lightning or rockfall could be the cause of death. I'm really interested in this guy's story, as this is kind of a summer "stomping grounds" for me.