Bibler tents

JoshK

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't looked at the most recent design changes for ID, but if they're still using the 'tube' vents near the top of the tent I'll vouch for the better efficiency of the triangular vents at the apex of the roof in the Biblers.

The Bibler/BD website often has clearance specials on 2nds or blems, too. They're usually the green color (go figure), but if you can stand green it may be worth it.

quote:

Originally posted by mneagle:

Last time I was up in Canada, MEC was carrying Biblers at a considerable exchange rate discount. Don't forget to get your receipt stamped at the border to get your tax back.

Hmmm...

I ran through this exercise in the spring. MEC sells the I-tent for 835 cdn plus 15% tax, where you only get half back (GST). The current exchange rate is 0.65 US/cdn, so your cost is about $584 US.

You can get the I-tent from Northern Mountain for $595 minus 10% (Mountain Club discount) and pay no tax for a cost of $535 plus shipping.

Your choice.

You can get your Canadian federal tax back (not provincial tax) for purchases of merchandise or lodging as an incentive to spend your $US's there. Each individual receipt must be for $50 (Canadian) or more before tax. When you have a total of over $350 in receipts you send them in or cash them in at the border for about half of the total tax back. You can save up receipt over as long as you like and send them back together in the future. You have to get the receipts stamped at the border before you leave and show them that you are taking the gear out of the country. If you are flying out, I think you can just send in your boarding pass.

My opinion is to go with a Stephenson 2R tent with a large door and side windows. Mine weighs 3 pounds and has survived some huge windstorms in Patagonia and Bolivia. I just keep a camp towel handy to wipe down the condensation which has never been a big problem.

quote:

Originally posted by JoshK:

Anybody knows who deals in bibler tents locally (seattle)?? I've looked at the integral designs tents at nelsons shop and want to see the biblers now.

thanks,

-josh

REI sells them but I don't often see them in the store, also Cascade Crags in Everett sometimes has them. Call first.