Mount Hood conditions

Chr1s

Hey,

I am wondering what easy to moderate routes are still in on Mount Hood in mid-september. Does the South Side (Hogsback) still see any ascents at this time of year? I know that this is not a good time of year, but since I am going to be driving down to Yosemite (from Vancouver,BC), I would hate to drive by without stopping for an ascent. I am unlikely to be passing by again in the near future.....

Any info would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Chris.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone from PDX will no doubt correct me.

Of course! When you get to the Hogsback, go around the bergschrund to climbers left. Once around, you can probably just head straight up to the summit (via Mazama Chute aka Old Chute) instead of traversing back across on the uphill side of the bergie. West Crater Rim is typically reached by passing on the west side (climbers left) of Crater Rock and skipping the Hogsback entirely.

Saw some recent snow on the upper elevations. My experience, in late summer or fall this means slick snow on hard ice if there is any. And hit and miss rock and ice fall. The shrund usally can be by passed to the west. go early if a 10,000 foot plus freezing level is called for. Have Fun. Just For Your Info Cluck I did it your way in the fall once and my partner, almost took a football size chuck of ice, Do not be so sure of your self !