Darryl Hatten RIP

Dru

Darryl Hatten

Darryl Hatten, a prominent Squamish climber in the 1970s, died in Victoria on August 21st, as a result of injuries sustained in a fall from a tree. He was in his late 40s, and leaves a brother, sister, mother, girlfriend, other family, and innumerable climbing friends. Darryl started climbing in the early 1970s, and made many significant ascents at Squamish and in Yosemite, particularly with Eric Weinstein. His forte was aid and wall climbing. At Squamish, he climbed Up From the Skies, Cerberus, Getting Down on the Brown, Pan Granitic Frogman, and Son of Pan. And the first free ascent of the Split Pillar on the Grand Wall, in 1975. His ascents in Yosemite included the North American Wall, very early ascents of the Zodiac, the Shield, and Electric Ladyland, and the second ascent of El Capitan's Pacific Ocean route (1977), then the hardest wall climb in the world. Darryl was well known for his energy and enthusiasm, his loyalty to his friends, his beer drinking capacity, and his occasional exuberance. He was also a skilled tree topper and later tree surgeon, sometimes known as 'Doug Fir'. Darryl had occasional brushes with the authorities, most famously for riding a bicycle (nude) through Yosemite Valley's Four Seasons restaurant, a stunt which led to his being banned from the Park. It is not yet known whether/where/when there will be a service, but Darryl's climbing friends hope to have an appropriate event to mark his passing.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darry also did "Negro Lesbian" at Squamish, just left of "Black Dyke". I was, alas, personally responsible for the unfortunate name, having irresponsibly indulged my penchant for punning when discussing the route possibilities in that area of Grand with Darryl. Of course he decided on the spot that this would be the name of the climb when he did it.

Daryl was a dear friend whom I had not seen in over 20 years now. How ironic that I had just posted to rockclimbing.com a few weeks ago looking for him. Several of his friends and I were planning a trip to Canada to come see him if we could just find him. There are many tears in California tonight for Daryl, and Yosemite will never see another like him.

Oh BTW, Daryl wasn't nude when he rode Bachar's bike through the 4 Sleazin's, but he was drunk and John paid him 5 bucks to do it, leading to Daryl's getting kicked out of the States. JB also paid him to steal 20 fixed ropes off the Captain one night, but that's another story.

I can't help but remember tonight one day long ago at the 'Speed of Light' boulders near Mt. Wilson in SoCal, bouldering with Daryl, Yabo, and Randy Grandstaff. And now I am the only one living who remembers that carefree day and the wonderful friends with whom I shared it. It's gonna be a long night tonight, and I'm gonna be real hung over tomorrow, but my boss can just f*** all, as my Canadian friend would have said. Love you Daryl, wherever you are.

Greg Foweraker posted the following clarification/errata to Anders Ourom's original memorial piece which I had cut and pasted here and on the Gripped bb.

Dru,

Thanks for posting the obit for Mr John Daryl Hatten

Just to clarify a few points:

Daryl is the correct spelling of his middle name

His attempted ride through the four seasons was not in the "nude" as you put it; Daryl had a sense of style and in those less politically correct times understood that clothes make the man.

Daryl was not banned from the valley or deported from America for this minor transgression, however it may have been another straw that eventually broke the proverbial camels back.

Those wanting to know when/where the memorial will be: email gfoweraker AT mec DOT ca

• 3 weeks later...