Sherman Peak???

Tahoe

First post... Great site and it seems like you guys have a good group of smart a$$es here. Hope to contribute with some trip reports myself soon, as I have been lurkin until now.

Taking a beginner group camping below Bolder Cleaver/Sherman peak on Baker this weekend (Girl friend and so on)... After checking out pics and a topo of the area there looks to be an easy mostly rock route up the South East side of Sherman just a small snow field at the top to cross... Anyone have any beta on this. Have rock gear will lead but don't have the time to get these guys edumacted for crevasse rescue. So I want to avoid having to deal with the glacier for now. Bolder cleaver is way too much for them. Sherman could be a fun morning shot but have not been up it.

Any info is appreciated (Snow conditions/Rock rating) and if you think it's better to stand down and just day hike these guys around the bottom of the glacier let me know.

bigdrink.gif

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I did Boulder Glacier two weeks ago and I don't think there is anyway to climb Sherman peak without crossing a glacier. Maybe I am wrong. The Boulder/Park Cleaver is very mellow and crevasse free (and not really a glacier if you stay on the cleaver) until about 9,000 feet or so. The rock on Baker is typical vocanic choss. I would not intentionally climb on it.

Consider climbing Mt Shuksan via the Sulphide Glacier. Yes, it is the glacier but is very tame and would be ideal for a first time glacier plus there is a rock scramble at the top.

I was just up on sherman and I climbed rock a bit near the top (err..choss). There is a cleaver that you can follow next to the talum. We dropped off of this and climbed the talum which has a lot of crevasses. Getting to there involed many also. As a beginner climb, shuksan via the sulfide is a good one as mentioned. Nice trail, easy route, and some rock with a great summit view. The talum isn't hard, but avoiding glacier may not be possible. I could be wrong. The north ridge of adams isn't bad and avoids glacier. It's mostly a hike with some class 2-3. I like this climb but many people don't like the downclimb. Bring shoes.

Thanks for the beta guys... Adams is a little far for us this weekend. I might be able to talk them into Shuksan. It looks to be pretty mellow. I have the gear to get them up it, and out of a hole if need be... But if I go in it's a different story, that's where the worries come from.

If not maybe it's time to just get them out onto some safe snow and show them how to stop themselves, pursik, set deadmen, pickets etc...

Any additional beta on good easy climbs on this side of Baker is appreciated!

I camped on the Adams summit plateau one September after climbing the N ridge. This was one of the nicest high camps in memory, fantastic views, though of course you'd need a mellow weather forecast. Going up and down in one day would be tedious, even with a start from high camp. This climb is made better by a night on the summit in my view.