Pasayten - Cathedral Peak

wernal

I am headed into the pasayten and would like to scramble up cathedral peak. The route is typically called the 'walk down' route for the class 5's and has what Goldman calls one 'airy' class 4 move across an exposed gap. Can anyone offer more detail on this move? What gear do I need to bring with?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I cam off that peak about a week ago. I don't think we took the easiest way down, however just below the summit is an unavoidable "gap" you'll need to cross. In fact it's more of a crevasse. Really a truly amazing feature. We jumped down it, there is a wedged chockstone that you could cross on then do a move or two to get up. Looked Class 4 with MAJOR exposure into the bowels of the mountain. Have fun.

While there I would HIGHLY recommend hiking up to the North Summit of Amphitheatre Mountain (Class 1) from Remmel Lakes. An incredible spot with good energy.

Drus option is a bad one. the_finger.gif From the summit you move west to the first gap then a good trail leads down to Cathedral Pass.

It's been a long time since I was there, but I think there might be a couple moves allowing you to climb down into the gap making it so you don't have to do an Olympic style broad jump. Anyway, the upshot is if you are not exceptionally freaked out by exposure, you don't need anything gear wise, and it is straight forward. If you don't have any technical gear along, it is quite a rewarding summit if you are backpacking in the area.

O great...i now picture the tribal congregating influx in endless waves of pads

thank gawd its a long hike.

Easy to carry all those pads in on horses tho! That's the local secret access. Popular with smugglers too. The bouldering underneath Ampitheatre Mt., while not sharing the same amazing view, is much more expansive & high quality. Lotsa sheep up on top, pretty fun to mess with on shrooms. OOPS, strike that last one, didn't happen. Or did it?

BB