[TR] Alta Mountain- Supar #1 Technical Walkup Route 7/29/2004

JoshK

Climb: Alta Mountain-Supar #1 Technical Walkup Route

Date of Climb: 7/29/2004

Trip Report:

My dad and I hiked up Alta Mountain yesterday. This certainily isn't worthy of a TR but figured it's sometimes fun to post about the simple stuff done with a family member, newbie friend, etc. I've gotta say it's a very worthwhile scramble, at least on a weekday. Summit was reached in a bit over 2 hours -- my ol' man is 50 and can more than keep up with me. thumbs_up.gif

On the way down we took a detour over to Rampart Lakes. Beautiful!! There is a great rock you can run and jump probably 20 feet down into the lake. The water is very deep there. I love Alpine diving boards.

I found the walk up Rampart Ridge super enjoyable. Beautiful, open, and flowered. Can't breat that 1 hour from Seattle.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the first big lake you enounter as I remember. it's surrounded (on the side you approach) with some quite slabby rock. Right where you walk up are slabs that drop off 15 feet into the lake and continue steeply underwater. Get a running start on said slabs and let fly!! Just remember to close the legs or cup the nutz! wink.gif

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Family/mountain combo! The pinnacle of life, IMHO. Does your dad do much of this sort of thing? My brother and I took dad over The Chilkoot Trail in AK/Canada a few years ago. In spite of never hiking/climbing, and being in only marginal shape, he kicked ass, never complained, and came out blister-free.

It's my desire to do a big loop through the area--probably in fall: LoBox, Hibox, traverse around to Alta, thence over to Rampart Ridge, then Mt. Margaret, then the peak just east of Margaret then back to the car. I figure about 10 hours round-trip.

Family/mountain combo! The pinnacle of life, IMHO.

I couldn't agree more. One of the best experiences I had was bonding with my father in-law on Gerlach in the Slovak Tatras. We didn't talk much but we shared the mountains and the challenge. Awesome day I never would have gotten with my own father.

Family/mountain combo! The pinnacle of life, IMHO. Does your dad do much of this sort of thing? My brother and I took dad over The Chilkoot Trail in AK/Canada a few years ago. In spite of never hiking/climbing, and being in only marginal shape, he kicked ass, never complained, and came out blister-free.

It is indeed a great combo! He has always been a hiker, but not much for backpacking or climbing. I took him climbing on Ingalls once. We were talking about doing a 3 day trip in the olympics, which would definiltey be fun.