Alpine Fishing for dummies?

dberdinka

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pack my fly rod in with the tent polls, and the reel, well, it can stash about anywhere... My flys, well, either in a flybox, or in a film canister depending on what I'm fishin'. And occasionally just to be extra geeky, one or two on the shoulder straps of my pack wink.gif

WTF? A woman who likes dogs, climbing, AND FLY FISHING?!?!?! HEY GUYS, SHE ALSO TIES HER OWN FLIES!!!

Props to icegirl! bigdrink.gif

Can't believe how many fly snobs are out there. Anyway Dberdinka, just curious how your your Huck Finn adventure go? What did you end up going with and did it work?

I never got a reel and stuck a package of freeze-dried ick in the pack instead.

Regardless, we were laying on a rock by the edge of Upper Cathedral Lake sunbathing when a bumblebee starting trying to pollinate our ears. Being a bug it had a rather small brain and couldn't quite figure out that we weren't a flower (actually I'm thinking my buddy might be shocked.gif)

So he grabs my hat and makes a rather pathetic display of slowly beating this thing to death, it put up a good fight for 20 seconds or so.

He casually flicks it's dismembered carcass into the lake and we go back to baking in the sun.

Within a minute the loud CLAP of a large fish hitting the surface breaks the silence. Bumble bee gone! Pretty cool, shoulda stuck a hook in it.

You know you're having fun when you can climb a mountain and go flyfishing all in the same trip. Now if I could figure out how to incorperate skiing and music into this scenario, I would bliss hard.

I came close to this last year - while on a Spring Ski Trip in Cali, pausing at a creek, I looked down from the 4' snowbank to see.... brookies rising below. Damn I wish I'd brought a rod.

You know you're having fun when you can climb a mountain and go flyfishing all in the same trip. Now if I could figure out how to incorperate skiing and music into this scenario, I would bliss hard.

approach your target alpine lake on skis with a rod and MP3 player?

This certainly isn't advise, as I've only gone seriously fishing a dozen times in my life. But the best fishing I ever did was with a short stick and maybe six feet of line. I started out with a dry fly, but quickly switched to fish guts, and caught a half-dozen small trout, maybe, in about half an hour.

This isn't anything special, but my best catch, & quite good when tossed almost directly on a fire as supplement to whatever crap I was trying to eat at the time.

This by the way, was at small lake just off Rainy Pass in 1975. A pretty lonely place at the time, but now has handicapped access via paved walkway from parking lot.