Girlz Girlz Girlz Vol. 2 (newbie girls climb)

icegirl

Yeaow ...

Many thanks to Icegirl for assuring me that I am not a liability despite my lame lack of skills! smile.gif

I am going to try my hardest to make it and hopefully take a few notes from y'all. Can someone shoot me some more detailed directions and whereabouts as I will be coming more on the 5:00 ish side?

Thanks!

Brianna

I don't think you can take "lessons" fom any one that doesn't have a certin kind of liability coverage (I have, although, tought classes threw an after school comunity center who did have the right knind of insurance). but learning from friends is a great way to learn to climb. I have bee climbing for 5 year ans although I have NO formal training I seem to do okay. Have fun ladies and don't let go with your break hand smile.gif

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you can take "lessons" Have fun ladies and don't let go with your break hand smile.gif

Bri, I took the Climbing 102 class (learning technique) after I got back last Wednesday and I didn't learn anything new...but the Intro to Climbing was a great idea if you've never been before and don't know how to belay. Its great for learning safety and just the basic ABC's. I went over to REI on my lunch hour and had a lesson from Rob ( North Cascades Mtn Guides). My instructor for the 102 class gave kudos to the girls who took me out on Wednesday because they did such a good job of passing on information and explaining everything a we did it.

You should definitely come out this Wednesday!

Muffy...that is great advice actually....and I hope you had a Happy Birthday!

wave.gif

muff, nowhere did I say I am giving any lessons...

Keep in mind, I worked as a scuba diving instructor for years, so I am quite familiar with liability insurance et al. Thanks for your concern though (or am I reading something in to your post)

Brianna PM'd me asking if she could hang out and watch (even if she had not taken a formal climbing class) I said sure...

Please, all you "experienced" folk, don't read more into this than it is. It is a group of women of varying skill levels getting together to have some fun. I am trying to make it newbie friendly, yes, and an environment where experience people can pass on information to the less experienced. An environment where a woman can ask another woman about how her harness fits or what is a female urinary director (AKA funnel) without snickers from they guys...

Many people helped me "learn" to climb (beyond my formal instructor - thanks Dale) This is just my way to "Pay it Forward".

I don't think you can take "lessons" Have fun ladies and don't let go with your break hand smile.gif

Bri, I took the Climbing 102 class (learning technique) after I got back last Wednesday and I didn't learn anything new...but the Intro to Climbing was a great idea if you've never been before and don't know how to belay. Its great for learning safety and just the basic ABC's. I went over to REI on my lunch hour and had a lesson from Rob ( North Cascades Mtn Guides). My instructor for the 102 class gave kudos to the girls who took me out on Wednesday because they did such a good job of passing on information and explaining everything a we did it.

You should definitely come out this Wednesday!

Muffy...that is great advice actually....and I hope you had a Happy Birthday!

wave.gif

thanks for the invite but 5 hours is a bit far to drive for an evening of climbing wink.gif I have a large group of climbers here in Eugene that I chill with on wednesday, and then we often go to a pub to drink. realy great mixed group of climbers all levels. We have alot of fun. it is realy good to see other climbers getting out and having a good time.

So I got back from my Intro to Rock class this afternoon even more amped to get up there and learn a few tricks of the trade from you hard women.

Icegirl - you rock for pulling this together in a way that allows beginner folk (like myself) to get around those that know the sport!

Snowbyrd - Thanks for the info ... I'll look into it.

Looking foward to it!

B

So I got back from my Intro to Rock class this afternoon even more amped to get up there and learn a few tricks of the trade from you hard women.

Icegirl - you rock for pulling this together in a way that allows beginner folk (like myself) to get around those that know the sport!

Snowbyrd - Thanks for the info ... I'll look into it.

Looking foward to it!

B

Classes realy are a great idea smile.gif glad you had fun and are so excited to learn. To me it seems the only thing you realy need, to learn to climb is enthusiasm cool.gif

muff, nowhere did I say I am giving any lessons...

Keep in mind, I worked as a scuba diving instructor for years, so I am quite familiar with liability insurance et al. Thanks for your concern though (or am I reading something in to your post)

Brianna PM'd me asking if she could hang out and watch (even if she had not taken a formal climbing class) I said sure...

Please, all you "experienced" folk, don't read more into this than it is. It is a group of women of varying skill levels getting together to have some fun. I am trying to make it newbie friendly, yes, and an environment where experience people can pass on information to the less experienced. An environment where a woman can ask another woman about how her harness fits or what is a female urinary director (AKA funnel) without snickers from they guys...

Many people helped me "learn" to climb (beyond my formal instructor - thanks Dale) This is just my way to "Pay it Forward".

I am not sure what you were readin ginot my post. I was just pointing out that a formal "lesson" is one thing and learning to climb with friends is something else. both are valuable valid wasy to learn to climb. when I climb with a newbie, I encourage a belay class at the gym and I also encourage people to read jon longs "how to rock climb" the only thing i find un rewording and frustrating about climbing wiht beginers ( and this has only happend once) is someone who asks and asks to climb and then doesn't put out much effert or enthusiasum. I don't like climbing with people who are half assed and I was sorta shocked and disapointed when that happend.

at any rate good luck to all the new climbers. learn lots and don't give up. try lots of things you don't think you can do. if you arn't falling you arn't learning. watching Pandora climb at Smith I learnd that just being determined can get you anywhere bigdrink.gif

godzilla is a 5.9 and can easily be set up as toprope...

hence beginner (slash for allison) intermediate route.

Hell0 capitalist!

Don't believe a word she says, I've climbed 5.9s with no problem and 5.8s that my Chinese ass could hardly get off the ground. But I seldom rock climb.

Thank you fou allow me to post.