Crampon Fit for Large Boots?

blue_morph

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm rockin the big dogs too (size 15). I know that the extender bar from the BD Contact crampons is the same design as the Sabretooth, just longer. Contact BD customer service to get a new extender bar.

For some ultralight Aluminum crampons - Trango makes an aluminum strap only crampon that fits to size 16.

PM Fromage... he's like size 14 or something hellno3d.gif

Close, Gary, that would be 15. My alpine cramps are Charlet S-12s, and when I bought them I picked up the extended spreader bar. When I put them on my plastics the strap wasn't long enough to reach around my boots, so I had this crazy old cobbler guy in Chamonix re-work the whole strap system. Then they fit great, and now I have about twelve feet of Charlet rap webbing on my crampons if I need it. Grivels also fit my boots, and they tend to be a bit lighter than Charlets.

The trick I found is to size your crampons to the biggest footwear you will be using them on, then they are certain to work with everything else you'll wear. Nothing says speed in the mountains like soggy size 15 leathers, giant steel crampons, and gobs of wet snow balled up on them. It's the best.

I've tried to fit some Stubai Ultralights and BD Sabretooth onto my size 12 Eigers and Invernos. They are just too small. What do people use for size 12 and up?

Were you trying on a pair of the "medium/large" Sabretooths, or the "small/medium" ones? I use the "M/L" ones on my size 13 boots with no problem, and they've still got plenty of expansion room left.

• 3 weeks later...

On Friday I went to FF to get some new, more technical crampons (I have BD Contact Straps). The red haired guy helped me out (I didn't get his name, I suck). We tried just about every crampon that they had on my size 15 Lowa Civettas (Double Plastics).

We found that you can use the Black Diamond XL extender bar in any Grivel crampon to get extra-huge sizes. You can probably go up to a size 18 or 19 with that bar.

The Grivel G-14 fit my boots without the BD bar once I moved the toe bail to the forward position. I can't wait to try them out this weekend.

One more thing - the customer service at Feathered Friends kicks ass. They helped me for at least an hour while we futzed around with the crampons and discussed the pros and cons of each. Beers bigdrink.gif and cheers for FF.