What is the use of climbing mountains? George Mallory

lisa

What is the use of climbing mountains?

It is no use.

There is not the slightest prospect of gain whatsoever.

Nothing will come of it. We shall not bring back a single bit of gold or silver, not a gem, nor any coal or iron.

We shall not find a foot of earth that can be planted with crops to raise food.

It's no use.

So, if you cannot understand that there is something in man which responds to the challenge of the mountains and goes out to meet it, that the struggle is the struggle of life itself upward and forever upward, then you won't see why we go.

What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy. And joy is, after all, the end of life.

We do not live to eat and make money.

We eat and make money to be able to enjoy life.

That is what life means and what life is for.

-George Mallory

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by lisa:

[QB]if you cannot understand that there is something in man which responds to the challenge of the mountains and goes out to meet it, that the struggle is the struggle of life itself upward and forever upward, then you won't see why we go.

there are so many people that don't understand this. not that there's anything "wrong" with those people. [Wink]

thanks for sharing that. [smile] is it from a book?

quote:

Originally posted by The Saccharine Trust:

But we appreciate what ol' Georgie had to say before his bones went all white, because we are forever explaining why we do something...so....silly!

It's fun, inn'at enuf?

ON BELAY!

When were his bones not white? [Moon][Wazzup]

I was on a plane last year and shortly after take-off from Seattle I was admiring the spectacular view of Mt. Rainier and the surrounding old growth forests. As it was, I was in the middle seat and had to look over an elderly lady (50s, I suppose) who had the window seat.

After looking at the scenery for a few minutes I looked at the lady, hoping to hear her opinion, maybe even asking for it with my expression.

What she said is this, "Look at all that WASTED land out there." I was floored...couldn't muster up the desire to say anything to her for the rest of the flight.

I guess it takes all kinds.