Middle Fork of Snoqualmie?

ken4ord

I have some friends coming into town in July and was interested in finding a nice hike in the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie area. Any suggestions? Please hikes only, I would love to take them climbing, but I think they would rather shoot themselves than to attempt to climb.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some friends coming into town in July and was interested in finding a nice hike in the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie area. Any suggestions? Please hikes only, I would love to take them climbing, but I think they would rather shoot themselves than to attempt to climb.
Take the Middlefork road to the Tylor River Parking Lot. There is a bridge there and a nice trail on the other side of the river with easy hiking and not crowded.

More details I guess my friends are quite fit, both mountain bike race could be on or off trail, just looking for a nice scenic hike. A recon for peaks and/or possible climbs would be cool too, just for myself later. Also just looking for a day hike. Planning on camping out up there, but would prefer to keep the camping to car camping.

So Catbirdseat, this Taylor River trail does it just follow along the river or climb a mountain? What type of scenic amenities does it have?

Anyone do the hike that leaves the Middle Fork past Garfield, where the road crosses some falls (forget the name) that have cut through granite? Where does it go?

Thanks so far.

Mountain bike and trot up to Snoqualmie lake. Dive in and measure shrinkage. Easy day.

You will not get real panoramic views from the canyon bottom. The views are nice but you will really have no idea how many spectacular peaks are all around you.

Anyone do the hike that leaves the Middle Fork past Garfield, where the road crosses some falls (forget the name) that have cut through granite? Where does it go?

Thanks so far.

Are you talking about Dingford Creek trail? MTN BIKE: Your friends can park at the main parking area off the middle fork, where the main bridge crosses, ride the ROAD out to the Dingford Creek junction, go south towards the river on the trail, cross the river and head west along the trail system for a good ride ending at the bridge and their car.

OR they can go down towards the falls you speak of and take the trail out towards the Chimney Rock area. Bring a map as most of the acess from there is cross country bushwacking up drainages towards Summit Chief.

Likewise, they can cut up the obvious north/south drainage and go north cross country to Big Snow, Volken's ski mountaineering book describes this approach.

The Taylor river trail is best tuited to fly fisherman willing to hike into the plethora of lakes to the North of Garfield.

The CCC road starts where the Si road ends at the end of the gravel road. It is gated and access is via mtn bike on a nice 25 mile loop including the middle fork road as the way out. Bessemer can be accessed if you have a map and can read it.

The Zoro clearcut can be accessed by stopping at the pullout right before the end of the paved road on the middle fork. Head southeast on the gated road several hundred meters down from the Mailbox peak road approach. Follow up up and up until you either decide to descend to the Granite Lakes basin or keep going up for unique views of Russian Butte. A map in the middle fork is mandatory.

I've never taken the Dingford Creek trail to the north, so I don't know much about it, but Bug mentioned a good hike into the direction. The trail to the south which crosses the river from the middlefork road splits and goes east/west. I think (I've never gone that way) that if you take the east fork you will eventually cross paths with the trail that heads up to Snow Lakes. If you go west you can take the trail back to the main parking area of the middle fork road. I think it goes better as a mountain bike ride since it follows the river and is a rolling trail instead of a climb. If you go that trail you should bring some rock gear since it passes right below the clean bolted granite slabs in the clearcut.

The Middle Fork trail between Taylor River and Dingford Creek isn't especially scenic. It does go by Fee Demo Wall, and there is a pretty cascade shortly before you get to Dingford Creek.

One idea is to hike the Middle Fork from Dingford Creek to Goldmyer Hot Springs. Get a reservation before you go and take your friends for a soak.

Another way to get to Goldmyer which involves more driving on even crappier road, is to drive to the Hardscrabble Lakes/Dutch Miller Gap trailhead and hike the new trail down to Goldmyer three miles. It starts about 50 yards or so from the end of the road. It is very scenic and the new bridge is pretty cool. You can also look at some mining relics on the way. There is about 1000 ft of elevation loss you'll have to gain on the way back.

The hike that fits your bill is the Dutch Miller Gap trail. Drive your car up to the very end of the MF road and keep walking (up the road if your car doesn't make it all the way, and further). Beautiful giant valley, and soon you will underneath Bears Breast Mountain, Summit Chief group, Mt. Hinman (Mt. Hinman is a hike-up peak that your friends would probably be loving you for once they made it up there).

One good place to camp is Williams Lake. Great area. Last year to be able to walk in there without 7 extra road miles tacked to your journey.

(All this great advice is optimized by camping up near the gap, but you could have a good day hike up there. I've bagged Little Big Chief car to car in a non-marathon day.)

Dingford creek trail starts six miles past the Taylor River Junction (1400 ft). At 3 mi is a left fork to 3777-ft Myrtle Lake. There is, or used to be, a fishermans tread that continues up to Pumkinseed Lake. If you take the right fork on the Dingford Creek trail it continues for another five miles to 3886-ft Hester Lake.

Edited by tread_tramp

I was just on that Dingford trail a few days ago. It goes to Hester and Myrtle Lakes, though that's not where I went.

The trail is not in very good shape, and there is not a lot in the way of views.

For the money, I'd go Hardscrabbles (route is in Beckey I think) or La Bohn Gap.

The MFK is not a great place for dayhiking unless you are into off-trail/'schwacking.