Recent Sahale Reports?

esugi

Anybody been up Sahale Peak lately via Sahale Arm/Sahale Glacier?? Or anybody been in that area lately? What's the snow line right now? We're heading up there on Monday for one day ascent (actually driving to the trailhead and sleeping in the car Sunday night so we can head out early on Monday).

Looks like we're finally getting some good weather! About time. My last 3 climbs (Shasta, Hood, Pinnacle Peak) has been in snow storms so I hope Sahale climb will be in beautiful weather.

Thanks

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there yesterday. The weather crapped out and we bailed from our ski plans madgo_ron.gif

The road is closed at milepost 21 and will be for awhile - it's completely cut apart in multiple places in the two remaining miles.

The slabby cliff bands above the valley bottom are somewhat melted out but you can probably still go up that way without major difficulty.

There was a nice coating of fresh starting at ca. 5500'.

fleblebleb

the closure due to the road washout? Can you get around them easily or is the road completely washed out? Any beta on this would be appreciated. Any boot tracks visible from previous climbers?

Thanks bunch.

Is it worth it to bring skis this weekend?

Is the snowline from Cascade Pass on up w/o patches?

Thanks for any info

Oh yeah, would bikes be a bad choice for the approach to the TH?

I was in the area Sat/Sun

Bikes would be a good idea, since the road is now gated at the Eldo lot due to construction, leaving 3.5 miles to the summer trailhead. They are finally doing something with the washouts - they've got a bunch of machinery up there, and it looks like they've been able to move some dirt around with it. They have made one washout worse.

Sahale Arm is patchy... it looked skiable if you stayed on the lee side, with 2 or 3 long walking sections. Didn't look too appealing, and there are 5 more days of hot weather before next wknd :-) The final slope down to the pass was melted out.

We actually managed to "ski" down to the road from Cascade Pass - I wouldn't be suprised if we got the "last descent" of this season crazy.gif It took just over an hour, with most of that time spent walking on talus.