[TR] Mt Daniel- Lynch Glacier 6/5/2004

SublimeSalamander

Climb: Mt Daniel-Lynch Glacier

Date of Climb: 6/5/2004

Trip Report:

We camped Friday night at the Cathedral Pass trailhead,trail no. 1345 and got a 0530 start. The exit to Roslyn is closed so we had to drive to Cle Ellum and cut back down. The trail was concealed by snow most of the way until we got to the part over looking Deep Lake. From there it was wet saturated snow the rest of the way to Peggy’s Pond. There was a lot of recent avi activity. Including some fresh and deep wet slab debris. Snow conditions improved once we traversed around and accessed the Lynch Glacier. The glacier was pretty straight foreword with no recent avi activity and only one visible cravase, and that was only about four inches across. The summit went without a hitch. The rock was stable and good quality. The case for the summit log was there but the log it self was gone. If I would have known I would have placed a new one. Something to consider if anyone is headed that way soon. We glissaded the scramble route. Be sure to check for burgshrunds before sliding. Happy climbing.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you using lithium batteries? I've never had a problem with my Olympus.

Nope, I haven't sprung for the lithiums because I keep telling my self i'm going to get a better camera. I just have to resort to keeping the batteries next to the skin until I want to take a pic. But if it's cold enough for the batery to freeze I usually have on to many layers to easily get to bear skin to warm them up.

do the lithiums work in the cold better? I havent even looked into it. I have had some really frustrating times with my little camera...makes me want to throw it off the mountain when those lights are blinking and the damn thing won't take a photo.

Yes, Lithium bats better for cold.

Nice trip. I remember doing Daniel Memorial Day weekend in a day car-to-car some years back, and it being a slog because the trail was still buried then. Real pretty area and a great view of ths Stuart Range.

• 4 weeks later...