Mt Baker snow condtions

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recent heavy snowfall persisted as awesome packed powder until today (Thursday) when things started to warm up and get gloppy. Until it snows again, or until this new snow has time to trasform into corn snow, I'd expect to see heavy wet snow except near the summit where it may remain cold enough to preserve the dry snow. Depending on the freezing level, the snow may crust up. In any case my advice is to take skis unless, like some people, you enjoy post-holing in slush. pitty.gif

Route-finding on the Coleman-Deming is straightforward. Crevasses are very minimal. Do not go anywhere near the Colfax icefall (on the right). Semi-truck sized chunks calved off of it today.

My only beef with skis is it does take some amount of skill to climb steep technical terrain without hitting the fucking tips on the slope above. It's scary to move up to another placement and get bounced back by the skis. pitty.gif

We are headed for the North Ridge and decided that snowshoes would be better than skis. One member of our group was up on C-D on Memorial Day and said that skis would not be helpful enough to justify the added weight.

Well we did the traverse over to the North Ridge last week and there's no way I'm doing it again in soft snow unless I can skin! Yeah, we had slowshoes. But I'm a recently-converted splitboard-snob so don't listen to me... smirk.gif

We also camped at the high camp and were able to pull off a high traverse right next to the base of the Roman Nose. I think it saved some time, although I think we only camped at high camp because we did the alternative approach from the parking lot.

My only beef with skis is it does take some amount of skill to climb steep technical terrain without hitting the fucking tips on the slope above. It's scary to move up to another placement and get bounced back by the skis. pitty.gif

As with all else worth doing, practice, practice, practice....

That is exactly it. I don't want to climb the ice with skis on my back. That means that they would stay at high camp and I would still have to slog the C-D. fruit.gif