Storing Rope

CraigA

I have a "dumb" question. The room I store my climbing gear in gets pretty warm this time of year (no air conditioning available for that room), could this be a problem for my rope? When I say warm I don't mean sickening hot, but it will get up to about 85* or more. The rope is in a rope bag and not in direct sun. I'm assuming this will not be a problem, but since rope is kinda an important safety item I thought I'd toss out the question.

Thanks,

Craig

And hey, if anyone wants to make me break out my rope this Friday, I have the day off and would love to do something local (Portland area) or within an hour or two of Portland.

[ 07-08-2002, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: CraigA ]

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Storing a rope in a warm room should not harm it. You do not want to expose it to direct sunlight, water, dampnes, chemicals etc. You should always let it dry before coiling it and storing it. Also, don't let your dog use it as a chew toy.

[ 07-09-2002, 07:22 AM: Message edited by: Steamer ]

One of the rope companies did some testing on ropes a few years back. They basically left ropes in the factory coil in a closet for a few years, pulled them out and did the standard battery of UIAA type tests on them. They found that the rope strength actually decreased just from storage. I guess the nylon got brittle of something. I think the best course of action is to either send me your rope or just make sure you keep climbing on it.

OK, OK, I think I have this....let me see...mmmkay...in summary I think....mmmkay...rope goes bad from any kind of storage....got it.....ABSOLUTELY DO NOT STORE ABOVE 84.9 degrees...mmmkay...got it (shit, room is above that)......if I gain weight though, it will still hold my fall....got it...don't let dog FIGHTO, OUT, drop it NOW...mmmkay.....and 45th and University/clown suit......wew! [geek]

Thanks alot guys, mmmkay, don't know what I would've done without ya. [laf]

Anyone game for some cragging on Friday with a death rope with a melted core? [laf]

[ 07-09-2002, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: CraigA ]

CRAIG - under no circumstances should the air temperature near the rope exceed 84.9 degrees or it will melt the core. No evidence of damage will be apartant to the sheath, just the core so a death fall would occur if used.

You should dispose of the rope in the garbage can at the corner of 45th and Universtity Ave in Seattle or just hand it to the guy in a clown suit to properly dispose of it immediatly!