hood via cooper spur

rockgirl77

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You won't want to hike the road. Its about 9-10 miles to the campground.

You'll want to hike the Tilly Jane Trail up to the A-Frame. From there bear up and left through the trees until you hit the top of Polallie Canyon. Follow the ridge up above tree line and head for the Spur. The trail should be mostly melted out until you get up high.

Takes maybe 90 minutes to the AFrame. Another 90 to get up high. Don't know what the route is like right now. Prolly in good shape. Let us know how it is if you go.

i dunno...i remember reading about at least one guy who survived the slide all the way down onto the eliiot smile.gif

no joke about the helmet though...the lower spur shows ample evidence of stone-fall...only really annoying on the way down.

no more dangerous than playing piggie down by the river though, eh?

shit rob, i find your new avatar persona intensely terrifying...might have somethign to do w/ having confronted a well armed dude like that in the appalachians. luckily my friend had a bow & arrow...

Now it's 6 miles hike up the road to the campground now, and then probably 1.5 miles to where the tree line ends. We camped there this Sat as strong wind did not let us set the tent any farther. Next day we spent hiking around the spur, practicing belays and enjoying the unexpectedly good views. Yeah, we played slackers this time smile.gif

There is enough snow on the mountain but it gets soft quickly as soon as sun hits the slopes, no fun, really!

Good luck!

Maria

the sunshine is an easy, enjoyable route, and doing a circuit on a mountain is always cooler than retracing your steps, but there are certainly very large crevasses on the elliot glacier which no doubt will be opening soon if they haven't already, so be prepared w/ crevasse rescue bullshit

I climbed Cooper Spur last night /today. Descended South Side. You can drive to about 5100 feet on the road to Cloud Cap. That will save you about an hour of climbing.

The snow low on Cooper was wonderful styrafoam. Higher up it is widely variable due to temps, direct sun and avy debris. It goes from firm to wallowing deep powder in the matter of a few steps. Descending Sushine and crassing the Elliot could be really interesting with soft snow from the warm temperatures.

How much time are you going to allow for a Cooper Spur climb and Sunshine descent? Thats a huge amount of hiking in one day. I'll bet that you'd need about 15-20 hours total.