Petzl Rockpec Drill

Collin

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep - own one. Placed maybe a half dozen bolts with it in granite. Nice and small. Can't imagine the pain in the ass the Hurricane drill is when you have to change out bits ( pecker has a quick release). Planing on replacing some scary bolts up at static sometime this year with it. Any requests? FWIW - Chris MAc and the ASCA crew have mentioned that for any hard core drilling effort - a Hurricane with a small sledge (bigger then a Yose Wall Hammer) is the way to go. check out their site for the details. For occasional replacement - Petzl is great thumbs_up.gif

edit: LEt me add to this a sec - The Hurricane has a full size bike grip that's huge. Great for long drill sessions. The Rockpec has a smaller grip that can get a little fatiguing or uncomfortable is long drilling sessions if you have big hands. Your pinky finger will ride on the collet area and top of the hand will be pressed against the rubber protection sleeve.

Edited by matt_m

Love it! I have a Pika Mntneering and a Rockpecker, I never use the Pika anymore. The set screw on the Pika is a major pain in the ass. It comes loose after a few dozen blows and your constantly stopping, locating the allen wrench and tightening it so the bit doesn't fall out. I have dropped more than one allen wrench and lost a few set screws as well, so carrying extras was necessary. The Rockpecker has a "tool-less" chuck that seems to hold the bit well. I haven't logged a bunch of time with the Rockpecker but it's lighter, has less loseable parts, and doesn't require tools to change bits. In my opinion this makes it superior to most of the others on the market.

bigdrink.gif

Can't imagine the pain in the ass the Hurricane drill is when you have to change out bits ( pecker has a quick release).

Hurricane has a standard drill type collet. Not that big a pain in the ass - and replaceable. Drills with Drift Pins on the other hand....