Pasayten Wilderness

JoshK

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure. I haven't checked into snow levels and trail conditions yet but I am seriously thinking of heading up the Andrews Creek Trail to climb Remmel Mountain and Andrew Peak in the very near future. I think the trailhead for that is 2,400 ft or so and the place where I'd leave the trail is maybe 5,500 ft. Remmel is 8,600+ ft and Andrew is 8,300+ ft.

Robinson Mountain would be doable in a day from the low trailhead (c. 2,200 ft). You could ski the bowl on its east that curls back around to the south then west. This is the bowl between Robinson and Beauty Peak.

Also, I imagine Big and West Craggy peaks would be accessible by now. Probably not as much skiable terrain as Robinson but still some pretty high peaks.

There are other peaks not too far from the main roads (Eightmile Road and Chewuch Road) that are accessible (e.g. Setting Sun Mountain). Heck, you could look at a gazetteer and pick a peak and have a go with a reasonable chance at success.

If you're not necessarily talking about skiable terrain, then your opportunities would be about the same but the travel mode and speed would be different.

Go climb Cathedral Peak. We went in at Thirtymile.

I did that trip two summers ago, the first weekend of August. We bailed off the east butress when it started to snow and scrambled the easy route which is fun. Also hit the ridge route that runs south out of Cath. Pass, and Remmel, and Cloudy(?). All in WA. highest hundred. However, going in from 30 mile we logged over 60 miles in four days with our side trips. There is a way into Cath. from further north that would shave off miles and get you to some solid, technical rock. There are a ton of routes 5.8-5.11. I want to get back in better weather and enjoy what the area has to offer.

my impressions in general is that this is a less visited, and some more "dry and desolate" area than elsewhere in the area. However, as Klenke pointed out, there are some decent mtns, and the open terrain might lend itself to good skiing.

this is a less visited, more "dry and desolate" area than elsewhere in the area. terrain might lend itself to good skiing.

Definitely an accurate impression. The Cathedral Pass/Lake area is an amazing place. I would think it is still snowed in and like I said we were snowed on in August and unfortunately didn't get a chance to do the best of the rock climbs. There is one route on the cliffy (SW) side of the lake that looks incredible. Starts with a (5.10?) crack for a couple pitches to gain what Beckey calls a 4th class ridge. Doesn't look like 4th class from the lake, but probably is. From the look of the rock, this place should get more visits.