any good crags near bremerton?

james_e

Anyone know of any good crags near Bremerton? I dont have much time to get around, so they have to be within about a half hour's drive. I know there's little secret spots around here somewhere, I just don't know exactly where. pm or post reply please.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rumor has it there are bolts bremertonjohn knows somone who has played around setting up some stuff there. After that they are devoloping areas at lake cushman and hama hama river road but thats an hour to an hour and a half so it may just be better to hit the other side of the water.

Yes, it is true that there is at least one bolted line at the quarry on highway 3 between Gorst and Bremerton. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble, though. You'll have to sweep out an area free of broken glass and syringes for belaying. But it is about the closest outdoor climb to Bremerton.

You can also hike up to School Rock on Green mountain and play around on the moss. There's maybe 2 or 3 lines. OC uses this for their Mountaineering Course.

A little further away is Chimicum rock near Port Townsend. It's an interesting place to play around, though it is on private property and frequented by some of the colorful locals who consider the rock sacred. Three of us once walked right through a circle of 12 people all chanting in strange tongues while bowing to the rock. We carried on, dumped our gear at the base and proceeded to climb.

I don't know much about the quarry, though I've been there and decided it wasn't a place worth investing too much effort in. I'm not sure if it is on private property or city property either. Next time you're heading south out of town, look for it off the road just before getting to Gorst. There is a somewhat hidden turnoff onto a dirt road that leads back to it.

When I was a kid we used to ride our bikes out there and steal blasting wire, sometimes we even found a live cap. The rock is basalt and pretty fractured from the years of blasting. I do not think it is very promising, but who knows?