Would ChucK support this possible....

Peter_Puget

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could I get an executive summary of that wordy link please?

Oh nevermind, I think I get the gist, but since I don't want to read that whole thing I will make my response conditional.

If there is very good evidence that there is a real and imminent threat to Israel, then as a matter of self-preservation I would not hold it against them if they bombed Iranian nuclear facilities.

On the other hand, if it's just a bunch of trumped up BS meant to further some other agenda that the public would not otherwise support, then I'd say no. I would not support it.

Edited by chucK

Iranian pres says to western "colonialists" shape up, or else we'll rase Israel with the a-bomb if'n we get one.

Sharon says Israel will bomb any nucular reactor if Iran is in danger of producing a-bomb, having tacit support from bush.

So what? If you make threats like that to a fanatic country, you are just asking for it...

Yep, where does it end? If the Arab league were totally convinced that Israel was going to end their existence, then of course how could you fault them for attempting to survive.

Of course, I doubt the Arab League could pull it off. Just like Iraq couldn't really do much with the US breathing down its neck.

link 1:

Nuclear Weapons Can Solve the Israel Problem

Rafsanjani said that Muslims must surround colonialism and force them [the colonialists] to see whether Israel is beneficial to them or not. If one day, he said, the world of Islam comes to possess the weapons currently in Israel's possession [meaning nuclear weapons] - on that day this method of global arrogance would come to a dead end. This, he said, is because the use of a nuclear bomb in Israel will leave nothing on the ground, whereas it will only damage the world of Islam.

Link 2:

Israel may be preparing to attack Iranian nuclear facilities within the year, according to US administration assessments reported on Army Radio Saturday morning.

Chuck - The question is: Given the speech and the enviroment of the ME do you think that Israel already has the right to go bomb Iran. Stop that talking head equivocation.

Chuck - The question is: Given the speech and the enviroment of the ME do you think that Israel already has the right to go bomb Iran. Stop that talking head equivocation.

Well, if you put it that way, given the current environment of the ME I'd say Israel has nothing to worry about. So no. I don't think they should bomb Iran.

Well, if you put it that way, given the current environment of the ME I'd say Israel has nothing to worry about. So no. I don't think they should bomb Iran.

But do they have the right?

By imminent danger, I mean something bad will almost definitely happen to them, short of action by them.

Why am I being singled out here with regards to Israel? I don't ever get into these flame wars regarding Israel. I tried to shift the discussion to the US in Iraq and you quashed that.

The idea that Israel is a threat to the Arab Leauge is idiotic. Israel has never done anything besides defend it's borders and attack installations directly affecting it's national security. The only land they have ever occupied was won during wars started by the arab states. A good portion of that has also been given back in exchange for peace.

Let us remember that one of the main reasons Iraq never got nuclear weapons was that Israel destroyed their nuclear weapons program in the 1980s. I would absolutely support them doing this to Iran's facilities. When you have significant arab leaders spouting out this agressive talk about "leaving nothing on the ground" in Israel then I believe they have no choice, imminent threat or not. Knowledge gained with a nuclear weapons program is knowledge that remains in that state even if facility destruction sets them back.

The arab states of the middle east have already proven their resolve to attack israel without provocation several times before. In their current state they can't be trusted in any way, and allowing them to continue to develop nuclear weapons would be criminal negligence.

Maybe in a different time, but right now Iran is surrounded by what, 200,000?, US troops, probably just begging to be rolling tanks over troops instead of the ugly job of civillian pacification. I'd say that's a credible deterrent.

If you think it'd be OK for Israel to bomb Iran.

What about using nuclear weapons on them and really putting an end to Iran? What do you think about that idea Peter Puget? I'll bet that would keep Iran off of their back for a while, as well every other arab country, except maybe Pakistan I guess.

By imminent danger, I mean something bad will almost definitely happen to them, short of action by them.

Why am I being singled out here with regards to Israel? I don't ever get into these flame wars regarding Israel. I tried to shift the discussion to the US in Iraq and you quashed that.

Singled out? No way you continuously brought up the issue of "imminent danger" with regard to Bush's actions. I am interested in discussing the whoel issue of preemption. I fel that since you repeatedly brought the issue up you had an interest in the subject. Where have I flamed?

What if Iran did have nuclear weapons and decided that a nuclear attack on Israel was indeed worth the damage it would sustain. At that point what recourse woudl Israel have? With this potential threat what would be the conditions in which you would agree that Israel would have the moral authority to preemtively strike?

PP bigdrink.gif

So what? If you make threats like that to a fanatic country, you are just asking for it...

Which one is the fanatic country? confused.gif I'm confused. cry.gif They both deserve each other. Nuke each other and create a big ass parking lot for the camels. No more Zionist colonialism, no more Ayatolla Insaney...sounds like a good start.

Which one is the fanatic country? confused.gif I'm confused. cry.gif They both deserve each other. Nuke each other and create a big ass parking lot for the camels. No more Zionist colonialism, no more Ayatolla Insaney...sounds like a good start.

thumbs_up.gif