Eldorado approach warning

quote:

Originally posted by Lambone:

Any good bivi site recomendations?

Thanks

If you don't mind camping on snow, Eldorado Basin (6100), the ridge between Eldorado Basin and Rouch Basin (6300) or the ridge between Eldorado Glacier and Inspiration Glacier (7200). There is also a rocky place on the Inspiration Glacier (kinda where you stop traversing and start going up) where some jackasses built somewhat of a rock wall.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year in June we drove up in the afternoon, left the car at 6 pm, bivied at 9 pm, got up at 5 am or so, went to the summit (knife edge of fresh soft untracked powder on the arette) and got back to the car at 6 pm. That makes a 24 hour round trip, subtract about 10 hours bivy time for a 14 hour round trip climbing time. That shouldn't be too hard in a day, but the way we did it we got to do the high route earlier in the day for better conditions. This year I happened to be coming down off Sahale on a day I knew my freinds were due back from Eldorado. It was kind of late and their cars were still in the Eldorado Creek parking spot so I went to look, and sure enough, the hot weather had turned the Cascade river into a raging torent. My freinds were trapped on the other side. We rigged a tyrolean traverse and brought everyone across. On a really hot day even the side creeks can be tough to cross late in the day when the melt is in full flood. If you think you might be trapped this way, it might be worth leaving an old rope in place to get back across on your return.

Climbed it this weekend, nice peak! Two large goups (20 climbers) up there also, all except for one grumpy "leader/guide type" guy were way cool.

The aproach isn't as bad as I was expecting. Getting through the deadfall on the otherside is the crux, and crossing the log is a bit airy.

How come the park service doesn't maintain such a popular trail? The hike would be more pleasnt with less downed trees in the way...

Hardly any bugs, no need for repelent. Condidtions on the route were excelent, minimal crevase danger. What a veiw! [Cool]

[ 07-15-2002, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: Lambone ]

"How come the park service doesn't maintain such a popular trail? The hike would be more pleasnt with less downed trees in the way..."

Because if they put a better trail in there that many more people would be crowding the upper basins. Do we really want that? As I recall, there were already at least 100 people on the mountain when I climbed it. A better trail (with foot bridge across the river) would only lessen the wilderness experience up there--what there is left of it.

I think they actually do do trail maintenance there anyway (not necessarily saying it's a good thing). Trail crews did a bunch of work re-routing the trail between the upper talus field and the meadows.

Both times I've been on it, the trail was in beautiful shape, with hardly any trees down (a really pleasant hike, until you reach the talus). Sounds like it just hasn't been "cleared up" since this past winter.

Klenke,

I don't think the current condition of the trail really keeps any people out of there...it just makes it annoying to crawl over lots of logs.

Crawling over logs on a trail maybe your criterea for a true wildeness experience, but not mine. If you have a trail in the frist place, it might as well be clear, just my opinion...

The current log foot bridge is pretty cool!

[ 07-15-2002, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Lambone ]