Gamma Hot Springs

Skeezix

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know somebody who went there about 20 years ago and he said it was not a hot spring that you want to go for unless you just want to ramble around on a cool side of Glacier Peak. The pool was barely big enough to sit in, and not very warm. (Flows and water temperatures do change, though, so you might fish around for a more recent report.)

The white chuck river road is ripped up, but the suittale river road is fine as far as I've heard.

I'm sure beck will have fun bragging about his secret route over ______ pass, but I can tell you that it's not that far. 10 miles on the basically flat suiattle river trail, then whatever it is up gamma creek or gamma ridge.

i'm not bragging about a super secret route, josh k the_finger.gif I couldn't remember the name of the pass to the east...

I read suiattle river trail is messed up, probably the PCT bridge across, so both the white chuck and suiattle are out as far as i know..

go up gamma creek and have fun canyoneering in reverse....you definetly want to find the gamma way- bring a shovel. plus its too early to enjoy those anyway, less flow makes them warmer...and it's about 17 miles one way into them. You definetly have to be a wilderness hot springs afficianado.

You could definitely go in via buck creek pass via trinity, but it's still a lot longer than the suiattle river trail.

What is supposed to be wrong with it? Is it messed up enough that travel on it would be unreasonable?

You could definitely go in via buck creek pass via trinity, but it's still a lot longer than the suiattle river trail.

What is supposed to be wrong with it? Is it messed up enough that travel on it would be unreasonable?

I don't know ...I was just trying to figure out what pass Beck was referring to. wazzup.gif

Buck creek pass, that's it

the forest service reports the suiattle river trail is messed up, wether its the pct bridge over the suiattle, or just a simple washout, i don't know. maybe try the milk creek trail if the suiattle is too messed.

I had heard that the spring can actually be too hot to stand and must be diluted with steam water. The enclosures are made of piled up rocks and get destroyed each year by avalanches. They have to be rebuilt each year and engineered to mix the right proportions of spring water and stream water.

• 10 months later...

Regarding Scenic HS:

From what I've heard...

The land has aparently been sold to a Japanese businessman who intends on developeing the springs somewhat "tastefully" and in the style of Japanese baths. There will be a fee to use the springs, and the road will be entirely improved (I believe the road project is well underway...) and the springs wheelchair accesable. My understanding is that the new development will be focused lower on the hill, closer to the "Honeymooners Pool" than where the deck and main pools used to be.

Obviously not an ideal situation, but then again, I suppose the pools in their prior state wern't exaclty ideal either... at least from the perspective of the sherif and the land owners. And while it certainly won't be anything near "natural" now, it could be argued that it wasn't nearly "natural" before either, and now perhaps there will be fewer of the problems cited by those who felt rightous in the initial destruction of the deck and pools.

The whole thing is dissapointing and frustrateing, but perhaps the end result will indeed be an interesting, relaxing, clean and pleasant place to soak that is neither too expensive nor too much like Tubs.

fruit.gif

I think that actually sounds really cool. Japanese gardens and springs are beautiful, and it would be really neat to see a hot spring developed around here in that style. From the pics I have seen I do not find naked disgusting hippies surrounded by ghetto platforms and trash to be "natural" or "soothing." I'd take paying a few bucks to soak in the ambience of a japanese-styled spring any day, thanks.