Woodson???

ken4ord

Hey I am going down to San Diego for a week, anyone have any beta for Mt. Woodson, like website or guidebook? I was going to go to Tauhitz and Suicide, but realized that Mt Woodson is much closer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

dont have a guidebook or website. just stop on the highway near the firestation (it is on the east side) and walk up the road. there are signs. imo the easily accessible problems begin around joshua crack and higher up the road. the joshua crack splits a massive boulder and the west side is like 10a hands. it is around the first couple switchbacks. lots of highballs.

Hey I am going down to San Diego for a week, anyone have any beta for Mt. Woodson, like website or guidebook? I was going to go to Tauhitz and Suicide, but realized that Mt Woodson is much closer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

get a hold of BVB, he has done everything there, and he'll tell you all about "Woodson 11c"

the website you found has a page that labels what i called joshua crack as 'robbins crack'. i dont know wtf its called i guess. though i notice the same page labels bachars 'hear the trane comin' as simply 'train'. gaytards? (http://www.giantsoftware.com/sdcc/climbing_areas/mt_woodson.html)

and santee is pretty fun. bunch of stuff up near alpine and jalama too. or go to the beach for some chicas. thumbs_up.gif

Yup, it's Robbins Crack.

12092.jpg

Be aware it's also the descent from the boulder (and taller than it looks in the photo). Follow that crack through to the other side of the boulder and it's Lie Detector, way hard at the bottom, but if you lower down from the top you can do some wonderful 5.10 finger jamming. Woodson really excels in the short crack category, and has some great face routes to boot, but a lot of things benefit from a top rope (though my experience there pre-dates pads, so I don't know if that has changed). I have an antique guide to the area I could xerox for you if you want, send me a pm.

As Lummox says, Santee is great fun, one of my favorite bouldering areas on the planet. Lots of thin edgy face climbing, slabby by modern standards, hence my fondness. yellaf.gif

There's a range of good roped climbing down there too, but that's probably more involved than its worth for a short trip. If it's hot though, do consider Tahquitz and Suicide, they're simply wonderful, and easy day trips from San Diego.