Poison History

assmonkey

From www.poisonweb.com

POISON HISTORY >>>

Bret Michaels - Vocals, Guitar, Harmonica

C.C. DeVille - Lead Guitar, Vocals

Rikki Rockett - Drums, Vocals

Bobby Dall - Bass, Vocals

Poison exploded out of the LA club scene and onto the national stage in 1986. After years of paying their dues, the controversial glam metal punks, whose stage show was hailed by one critic "as the Sex Pistols meets Kiss on acid", could not be ignored. Combining streetwise, catchy songs which lead vocalist Bret Michaels called "the soundtrack to our lives" and a strong video image, helped to make their 1986 independent debut album, Look What The Cat Dragged In a multi-platinum Top Ten smash.

Soon Capitol Records came calling, however Poison refused to subdue any of its music or image to fit into the mainstream. They stuck to their guns. Poison’s outrageous image and attitude caused as many people to hate the band as fans who loved them. There was no middle-of- the-road attitude with this band. With the MTV and radio success of the singles "Cry Tough," "Talk Dirty To Me," "I Want Action," "I Won't Forget You," and an opening act slot on the Ratt tour, Poison had become a household name by the summer of '87. Poison was, and still is, one of the few bands who, because of constant touring and having over the top, no-holds-barred stage shows, has formed one of the most loyal fans bases in the world, allowing them to tour arenas for the last 16 years, as many of their peers fell by the wayside.

In 1988, Poison released their second album, Open Up And Say...Ahh!, which was originally slated to be produced by Paul Stanley of Kiss, but due to scheduling conflicts, the band worked with legendary producer Tom Werman instead. The record quickly went platinum and its first single, "Nothin' But A Good Time" raced up both the MTV and Billboard charts. The band hit the road opening for David Lee Roth, but by that summer, it became obvious that they were capable of selling out arenas on their own. They soon found themselves as headliners with three more hit singles: "Fallen Angel," "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" (their first #1 single), "Your Mamma Don't Dance" and an album that would ultimately go on to sell eight million copies worldwide, and were featured in Time Magazine alongside Metallica as one of the largest grossing touring acts of that era.

They kicked off the 90's with the release of their third album, Flesh And Blood, and once again embarked on another World Tour. Flesh & Blood reached #2 on the charts, and went multi-platinum, and spawning three more gold singles ("Unskinny Bop", "Ride the Wind" and the mega-hit, "Something To Believe In"). But cracks in the band's foundation were already beginning to surface. Rock 'n' roll's excesses, and tension between Bret and C.C., were threatening to tear the band apart. A fist fight broke out between Bret and C.C. in New Orleans. The conflict continued, making for an "infamous" appearance on 1991's MTV Music Awards, where Bret and C.C. slugged it out backstage afterwards. C.C. departed the band that night. It became clear to everyone that things were about to change. However, Capitol Records continued with the release of the double live CD, Swallow This Live in early 1992, despite the fact the band had no guitar player.

Guitarist Richie Kotzen was recruited to replace C.C., and in 1993 at the height of the "grunge" movement, Poison racked up yet another Top 20 gold album and successful World Tour with the release of Native Tongue. After personal situations arose, however, Kotzen was summarily dismissed from the band.

snugtop.gif

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

BIG BOI WANTS KATE BUSH TO PRODUCE NEW OUTKAST ALBUM

27/11/2003 21:19

OUTKAST hip-hop star BIG BOI has a surprising musical hero - eccentric British singer KATE BUSH. The MISS JACKSON rapper - real name ANTWAN PATTON - credits his teenage musical development to Bush, and he's still so infatuated with the reclusive star he wants to track her down and get her to produce songs for his duo's next album.

He says, "My uncle introduced me to Kate Bush's music when I was about 14 years old, and that s*** opened my mind up. The first one I got was THE KICK INSIDE, then I bought THE HOUNDS OF LOVE, then the THE SENSUAL WORLD. "She was so bugged out man! But I felt what she was talking about in the songs. MOTHER STANDS FOR COMFORT, RUNNING UP THAT HILL. My uncle would explain what the songs stood for. Like THE MAN WITH THE CHILD IN HIS EYES and all that s***.

"I thought, 'Wow! She's so f***ing deep! I was infatuated with her, still am. I gotta track her down! I just found out that she was producing all that s*** herself! She's so f***ing dope and so underrated and off the radar. "So hopefully on the next record you're going hear OutKast and Kate Bush do at least two or three songs."