Day Hikers

Wopper

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of feet do you have? Flat, narrow, wide, etc.? Do you plan to scramble and/or climb moderate rock in them? How are your ankles? Fit will be the key to your new pair of shoes. I personally wear and race ultras in montrails but because they fit my feet as well as hold up for 3 months. If montrail fits you the d7 is hot shit.

I have had really good luck with salomon boots. Their light Goretex hiking boot is priced well and holds up well to abuse. I used these for 5+ days on glaciers and my feet stayed dry. In addition the rubber is pretty good for rock climbing and they withstand abuse from universal crampons without stitching coming apart etc. This model was a couple of years old so with the new model (Expert Mid GTX LTR) YMMV.

I have had really good luck with salomon boots. Their light Goretex hiking boot is priced well and holds up well to abuse.

I've had the exact opposite experience with 4 prs of lightweight Salmon Hikers. They suck. Poorly made, don't last more than a couple months. I went through 2 pairs of Raidwinds in 3 days (stupid eyelets!) thumbs_down.gif

Exum Ridge's are nice, as are LS Hyper's (discontinued I believe). I never wear hi-tops unless I'm carrying a pack & the terrain is rough.

Spending money on reasonable quality shoes is worth it - don't continue to hike in crappy footwear (esp. worn out shoes). Eventually, it'll start to screw up your feet. And that sucks. Besides - you can get all of these for <$50 from Sierratradingpost, REI sales, etc.