worn rungs

Stretch75

When I first started sport climbing, when my partner would reach the chains, he would run the rope thru the bottom rungs to set up the top rope. After he quit climbing, I kept at it and noticed the bottom rungs on some of the routes were pretty worn. I started thinking about it and figured that its faster to clip draws close to the bolts, using the draws for tr, then using the rungs only for rapping off. I went to x38 and noticed a lot of people using the bottom rungs for tr. Half of the popular route's rungs are getting pretty thin. Which way is more acceptable: draws or rungs smile.gif

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It happens because people take beginners there. A guy leads the route, but can't trust his second to rappel off without killing himself, so he puts the rope through the end links so he can top rope and then lower. I told Garth about one particularly bad set of cold shuts I saw yesterday.

Easy solution to that^:

Lead, thread rope through chains, then use a QD clipped in to the bolt. The rope hangs off the QD, and when it is time for the inexperienced second to clean it, there is nothing to it, as it is already threaded for lowering. thumbs_up.gif

Say you are a party of three. The first guy leads, and lowers off QD, second guy TRs and lowers off QD, third guy climbs up and lowers off chains. You now have at least 2/3 less wear then TRing off the chains direct.

Suddenly those chains that are only good for a year are lasting at least[/] three years. I would call that a signifigant impact.

Decide on what needs to be replaced and I can provide supplies for chain and link replacement. I don’t climb at 38 that often but I remember some set-ups not having hangers. Instead they rely on a washer/chain system. If these anchors can be modified to include hangers (a better set up in my opinion), I can provide those as well.

Maybe Garth or CBS can get something going.

The supplies/funds for this come from community donations.

Edited by DCramer