Canary is Scary Again

catbirdseat

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You could just belay at that spot where the "secret #4" goes instead of the Saber bolts. Then you wouldn't have to worry about ropedrag either. But you wouldn't be able to take as cool pictures of the infamous Canary stepout.

Shit! You guys are making me want to go climbing cry.gif. Can't we just talk about Iraq, Pub Club and poo some more? wave.gif

Edited by chucK

So I'm going to be in leavenworth this weekend and might do this climb. All this beta is a bit confusing though. Will Matt, cbs, alex, or greg please go up there and mark all these pro opportunities with color coded tape? And then post the key here on this thread.

Then I'll print out this thread and tape it to my forearm before starting the climb. Let's see, green tape = #.75 camalot with single runner. Hmm, purple = #4 with double. I'll send for sure yelrotflmao.gif

I was going to stick a phony bolt hanger with cut off bolt to the step across using chewing gum and watch people clip it and make the move with confidence. tongue.gif

hellno3d.gif Dood that is not even funny. It would be really easy to make a bolt hanger look like it is anchored to the rock.

On other note for a way cool Canary variation. Climb Old Gray Mare (same start then left of the Canary corner). Heady 5.8 climbing up the vertical arete to a belay below COD. From there follow the the horizontal right trending crack look for a ring pin and cut onto Canary's second pitch. Some great exposure traversing out above the roof (L to R). Also hopped on Saber since I had never been on it since there is always parties there, I wasn't to impressed with the climbing on it, don't really understand why it is so popular. For a better way up that section of the cliff go left of the corner and hop on Directissima way better climbing and good pro. IMO feels easier than the awkwardness of Saber. From the Saber ledge you can finish up Saber or what I did is shoot straight up (not climbed often little graungy but good climbing). COD is next when I get up there again.

Anyone know what the bolt on the lip of the Canary is for? Is there a variation that pulls the roof?