Climbing in BC and the Yukon

faust

Hey, just about to head up the Alaskan Highway, and thought I'd ask for recommendations for places to stop along to the way for some climbing. We will stop in Squamish if the rock is dry enough. Anything worth trying out north of there?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on the edge of Kluane Lake about 1km before the Slims River Bridge is a single black basalt boulder with a survey marker on its top and some cool problems on the side facing the water. icon14.gif

[ 05-29-2002, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: fern ]

quote:

Originally posted by faust:

Hey, just about to head up the Alaskan Highway, and thought I'd ask for recommendations for places to stop along to the way for some climbing. We will stop in Squamish if the rock is dry enough. Anything worth trying out north of there?

Big limestone cliff in Fort St James (thats NW of Prince George, not Ft St John where the AK Hway starts);

Bella Coola if you dont mind a 750 mile round trip detour...

Good cragging near highway in Chetwynd, also limestone slabs at Summit Lake;

North of Whistler both Green River Bastion and Lillooet Edge are worth a visit and drier than Squamish. Cheakamus Canyon is pretty good too, I can personally recommend a route called Beefwhale [Wink] take a #4 camalot and helmet [smile]

Hey guys, thanks again for the advice. Had a great drive, but didn't get to stop much for climbing. Squamish was awesome, my first trip and I wish I could go back, in fact that whole road through to Lilloet is great. Camped at Marble Canyon but didn't didn't have the North BC book and had no time for exploring. The basalt bouldering at Kluane Lake was fun, but I didn't find the particular rock mentioned. Lots of pretty stuff between Vancouver and Alaska (and lots of flat boring shit too)

Already found nice granite in Alaska! Hatcher's Pass is spectacular, can't wait to go back for some cragging :-)

Take it easy . . .