Info on the physics lab they want to put in Icicle

marylou

Yes and Yes. The impact of DUSEL on the Icicle has been vasty exaggerated, in my opinion. I believe climbers can continue to have a quality experience there even if DUSEL is built.

CBS you are as dumb as that fink from the UW.

Sure science benefits mankind. Sure medicine is great and saves lives. Seriously though, IN the ICICLE , Science Research is a fukin joke. How ever many days, months, years it takes to build and operate this so-called

"cutting-edge" research lab is not worth the tradeoff.

IF you do not understand, obviously as energetic as you are about climbing, you still do not understand Why so many people climb and love to chill in the icicle creek. Fukin open your eyes....

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any climber who thinks dusel is good for the icicle should

have their heads examined.Wick Haxton,chief dusel stool

pigeon,wants to ban use of private vehicles in the icicle.

He stated this in public meetings and to me ,in person.

A new road constructed and road side parking eliminated.

Once the project gets rolling don't plan on things as they

were.Bridge camp ground is history.You should also worry

about access to the Mt.Stuart trailhead.Just wondering if

any other jurisdiction will allow a dusel project in their

water shed like the city of Leavenworth?

I went to a presentation given by the lead scientist (Wick Haxton) a month ago and got his perspective of the impact this project will have. If what he says is correct, the biggest impact will be during the construction phase. The road will have to be upgraded between mile markers 4 and 9, which happens to be where a lot of the cragging is located. During the road upgrade one lane will be closed at all time so delays should be expected. The digging of the tunnel and rock excavation (via trucks) will take an estimated 3 years. The trucks will operate 7 days per week.

I asked the guy if he was shown that a majority of residents (either by vote or scientific sampling) opposed the construction would the project sponsers back off. His response was that he would be surprised to find that a majority opposed the construction (how scientific!). So basically he dodged the question, which to me says they are going forward with this with or without community support. If you are going to write letters, write them to the National Science Foundation because they are the ones who will choose where the DUSEL project is located. After the project is completed it remains to be seen what the federal government will do with the space.

Personally I think this project personifies the ego driven nature much of (NOT ALL) science has taken on. thumbs_down.gif

these UW profs are bad enough, amazing their top choice is so close to campus, but if this project goes forward they will not even be in charge. with the Dept of Defense conducting unspecified experiments in there the whole valley will be controlled, and it's access, by some goverment agency, i.e. if you want to complain to somebody forget about it.

So the decision is purely in the hands of the Nat'l Science Foundation, while the UW profs (incl. Wick Haxton) are just advocating for it?

yes. the uw profs are submitting a proposal to the nsf, who is also receiving proposals from other teams of profs. if icicle creek is selected, uw would act as the "landlord" overseeing the property (how scary is that?!).

• 3 weeks later...