bc coast range

anyone have info to share on this area... routes to recommend...special tips, etc... will be flying in with whitesaddle, in august or possibly late july early august... 3 weeks or so. wondering if anyone else is planning on being in the area and would wanna meet before hand and climb around here, and bc this summer prior to flying out. gettin the coast range guide and have been doin a bit of research- psyched!!! TIA-bp

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

try to find a library in your area which has holdings of the canadian alpine journal, and work your way thru the last 20 years or so. amer alpine club in jackson hole must have them, if all else fails. worth a weekend drive from texas...

btw, if u have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

cheers,

dru, thanx man! what was i thinking??? don, youre obviously and indespensible wealth of knowledge on this area, and thanx for the invite to ask you questions directly, and your stories and guidebook are stoking me out! crackbolter... of course, lets set it up...and we need to take care of some stuff around here prior too bigdrink.gif-thanx all-bp

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm very interested in climbing, and/or skiing in the Coast Range. Are you looking for partners? Send me a pm and I'll contact you.

I've heard a few general route descriptions, but no specifics. Have you looked at John Baldwin's books. Very inspriational...

bp - what kind of routes are you interested in focusing on - snow/ice or rock, grade IV, V or VI? more or less explored areas (i.e. better info vs. more first ascent potential)? a little more info would help with making recommendations, the coast range is a big place.

a group of 8 of us of mixed ability levels/suffering thresholds flew into the plummer hut (below claw peak near mt. waddington) a few summers back and were all able to find things to amuse ourselves for three weeks without any trouble, so that's one option.

cool folks thanx for the feedback...i thinkin combatant col/sunny knob,to focus on mostly rock routes on combatant, teidemann, asperity,serra towers...etc. i'm thinking around the end of july, early august, for 2-4 weeks, repeating classics/ scoping potential. have a couple folks really interested, and will be climbing as soon as my winter job ends around here tons...i thought it'd be cool to meet up with other folks who will be around and do some routes here prior to flying out.-bp

Edited by bobbyperu

be aware that sunny knob and combatant col are not really accessible to one another. i mean, i'm sure it's possible, but not at all easy. if you want to climb on tiedemann or asperity, you will want to be at sunny knob, but most of the newer routes on combatant are accessed from combatant col.

we did the s. butt. integrale on tiedemann, so if you want specific beta, shoot me a pm. it's the best alpine rock route i've ever done.

ha ha what i meant i suppose was those were two areas i was considering...leaving alot of specific deets up in the air for now. thanx for the info...i have looked into the integral and its sounds great...skywalk butt, kystra or whatever...long beautiful alpine rock climbing...ummmm. i will be doin' "training trips this season, cascades, squamish, swbc alpine, bugs, etc...lots of free time, and will be looking for peeps. fruit.gif-bp

Edited by bobbyperu

try to find a library in your area which has holdings of the canadian alpine journal, and work your way thru the last 20 years or so. amer alpine club in jackson hole must have them, if all else fails. worth a weekend drive from texas...

btw, if u have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

cheers,

Since BP is actually in the Seattle area (at least part of the time) I'd recommend the Mountaineer's Library. It's been years since I've been there, but they had a great collection of stuff, including all those CAJ's, which seem like the best source of info.