salbrecher

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Lambone:

Yeah, but you don't even have to climb above it. Just like being on top rope.

Yeah, except if you happen to fall just while you're "walking" it. Then it can be "just like taking a huge whipper".

quote:

Originally posted by chucK:

Yeah, except if you happen to fall just while you're "walking" it. Then it can be "just like taking a huge whipper".

That's why I've been known to use two cams... in a leap-frog fashion.... Actually, I also tend to do this when I place a "psychological piece" and two feet later find a bomber placement. Place the new and clean the old.... repeat as necessary. Highly effective when you are running out of gear.

I only crag climb with 5 cams 'cause that's all I got. You'll learn to make do with whatever's handy.

Try to barrow cams to find what you like, I bought some HB quad cams cause they were on sale and now I don't really like them after using them for a while.

but for a more specific answer, I'd argree with what most have said about hardware, you'll want 2 sets of nuts in the mid - bigger sizes, and some cams from .75 - 3. I really like the Aliens and wish they made some bigger ones.

Oh yeah, I recently picked up a Metolius "Double D" gear slut sling and really like it being the anal retentive gear organizer that I am. But a single length runner works ok too.

[ 05-15-2002, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Bronco ]

-One set of Camalots

(big and little optional?)

-One set of Aliens (all sizes are good)

-One set of nuts (BD are good)

The expensive gear is worth it. Slings are personal preference, shoulder length are always best for trad. The gear listed above has yet to fail me in a cragging or alpine environment. Make do with what you have and get more when you can.

Enjoy!