Scarpa Alphas with Fritschi Diamir

Dustin_B

This isn't a thread asking if it can be done but how to make it better. I recently bought some Scarpa Alphas (which conveniently happen to be the same shell size as my Scarpa Lasers). They fit into my Fritschi Diamir 3s perfectly without any length adjustment needed. Tried out the setup at Stevens on Saturday for about 5-6 runs before switching to my Lasers. It was very difficult to ski with this setup until I got the balance thing down (felt like my first time...). And I still wouldn't do anything beyond a blue-type steepness. Fell a few times and didn't release. Don't know how the super soft ankle would affect DIN release though. I think I would still have a bitch of a time coming down something like the Muir snowfield with this setup. Certainly couldn't do it in anything but nice spring corn (definitely no powder cause you can't lean back). Has anyone discovered a way to make skiing in plastic boots easier? I'm thinking a velco power strap around my ankle would help a little but the Alphas are so flexible I'm pessimistic. Not much edging happening with the soft ankles. Thanks for any advice.

PS - to all the naysayers who say the Fristchis don't work with plastic boots and that you need the Silvrettas; moon.gifthe_finger.gifmoon.gif

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My buddy did it for a couple of seasons. I was amazed at how well he was able to ski on it. He used Koflach Arctis Expds. (old neon color models) with Silveretta 404s. He also used an old Tele-cuff that I think was made by Grantie Gear? He said it helped some, but not a lot.

He now uses a split board set up.

I tried skiing the same set up minus the Tele-cuffs on a few trips and got my ass handed to me. Hello AT boots.