Vantage on Sunday

OlympicMtnBoy and I arrived at Frenchman't Coulee at 10 am in fog. It was cold with some snow in the ground in shady places. We climbed awhile at the Feathers until the sun came our around noon and moved over to Sunshine Wall where we met about three of four other parties. It warmed up nicely and was quite pleasant. Altogether we climbed eight pitches or three leads each (2 sport and 1 trad).

The most interesting routes proved to be Shady Chimney, which has an awkward start, but is rather fun afterwards. It was reputed to be "hard to protect", but turned out not to be so. You just need small wired stoppers. I only put my hand in fresh pigeon poop one time. crazy.gif I yelled "shit!" and my partner thought something was wrong, like a dropped piece. No, I was just being all too literal.

We top roped Steel Grille, and found the off width portions to be challenging as neither of us had a lot of experience with offwidths. It was really fun. OlympicMtnBoy could probably lead that one, but I'm not quite there yet.

It turned out to be quite a pleasant day- better than I expected. thumbs_up.gif

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there on Sunday too, I think we saw you near the right side of the Kingpins area. I even recall overhearing the 'pigeon poop' experience you mentioned above!!

It was nice to actually climb in the sun after lurking in the gym the last couple weeks. The fog had me worried initially but the weather ended up being hard to beat!

I have this horrible habit of making exclamations like "oh shit" and "oops" and "oh oh", even in response to fairly innocuous foibles. It really bothers people when I do it in the lab. Fortunately I don't have butter fingers, or I'd be dropping 4L bottles of acetonitrile and get the building evacuated.

You don't want your brain surgeon using exclamations like "oops".

Yep, we started out on Don Quixote (5.8) in the feathers area as a warm up and it wasn't exactly warming yet. My fingers were numb after about 15 feet and I had to look at the holds to see what was going on with em. After that (11:00) it warmed up really nicely though. This weekend doesn't look too bad, thinking of heading over there again on Monday maybe. Just don't try to start too early and you should be ok.