Ottawa Climbing? or Wishful Thinking?

scott_harpell

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's some rock climbing in the Eaderly escarpment which is by the Gatineau raceway. Some funky rock and fairly short pitches but a whole lot of fun if the bugs are hiding. Get a book from MEC and then plan on trips to the Gunks for some quality climbs. There are a few other places that are better than the escarpment but they are further drives.

As for Ice, I didn't do any when I was there but I had a few people tell me that there were some really good routes in Quebec. Just go into MEC and talk to the guys at the climbing counter. I found that most of them go pretty hardcore for Easterners. Oh and if you're going to school at Carleton, get ready for Wednesdays at Ollie's... bigdrink.gifwhat a bong show. Have fun... the people make up for the terrain although stick to the Quebec side if you don't like girls with pot bellies. cantfocus.gifthe_finger.gif

Yah, I am moving there too, from the Island, for work. I was there over Xmas. Shitloads of shorter ice - up to 100m max, but mostly a pitch or less. All that shit in New England (Mt. Washington gullies, Cannon, etc.) isn't that far, and sounds reasonably good - both rock and ice. Not the Coast Range obviously, but enough to keep you in shape and occupied.

The Gunks sounds fucking crowded. But Cannon sounds cool - check out the current issue of clumbing. Cragging in Quebec sounds mostly shitty...weird access issues, and a lot of really short stuff and/or sport. Squamish it ain't, so don't get yer hopes up.

MEC in Ottawa has all the guidebooks, and neice.com or something like that is a BB with lots on route conditions, access, etc. for the whole area.

My plan is to get into a lot more whitewater paddling, and take all my vacations out here for decent climbing.