Rock and Iceclimbing in Victoria??

scrambled_legs

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah...your life is finished...relatively speaking. But try the following.

Rock climbing:

Mt. Wells, McDonald, Fleming Beach (good bouldering), Sugarloaf (you want to climb here!), there are other little areas. Check out Robson's Outdoor whatever in downtown for knowledgable staff and a lousy local guide book (the guy who edits the guide book basically recycle stuff from the year before. Not the most user friendly, but passable when you are miles away from Squamish)

Ice climbing:

none in Victoria

other than what Fern mentioned, try Mt. Arrowsmith. You need a 4x4 or a snowmachine, otherwise, it's a half a day ski in or see if the local red neck will give you a lift.

There is ice if you go towards Mt. Cokely (used to be known as the Mt. Arrowsmith skiing area until went out of business). have a look at this:

http://www.bivouac.com/PhotoPg.asp?PhotoId=3008

If you want ice, talk to Peter Rothemel up island. Friendly, knowledgable with regards to ice up island.

If you are in Vic., try the indoor gym Crag-X. Small, but damned good bouldering/route problems. The ACC people usually go there once a week. Usually Sandy Briggs is the man you want to talk to if you want island mountain info...try the new island guide book too.

http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~acc/index.htm

For more adventurous stuff: Mt. Myra might have ice in winter and great granit climbs in summer (a long hike though). If you are really up for it...try climbing Colonel Foster in winter. Good luck!

Edited by Stemalot

Get ready to get far more familar than you ever would have wanted to with BC Ferries. Having lived here for a while now after many years on the mainland, I'd rather ride the ferry to climb on the mainland than bother with stuff here. It is OK, but not great. Rock climbing especially just can't compare to Squishy.

I have found winter climbing on Arrowsmith not as bad as mentioned in the previous post (at least last year when snow levels were high and the road drivable). Usually it is easy to get in there. Decent mixed climbing and winter alpine scambling. Seems sort of like what Ben Nevis sounds like in the UK, but not nearly as developed.

Exploratory mountaineering, with shitloads of bush and little true alpine terrain, is better (esp. the north end of Strathcona), but often requires long drives along the ultra-boring Island Hwy. I have found that I prefer taking the ferry tothe mainland than drive 5-7 hrs on the island...either way, it is about the same amount of travel time, but the mountains and cragging are MUCH better on the mainland.

Good luck. I am moving in the summer!

(Hint: Take up surfing. It is quite a rush, lots of fun and challege, and there is lots of it here. But it ain't climbing)

Ed Seedhouse has talked up the Wapiti Valley, but it for all that it's on the island, it doesn't sound anywhere near Victoria. Here's a link to his online guide in case you're interested: Wapiti Valley

There's also some climbing around Port Townsend in Washington (ferry ride again) but I'm not sure it's worth what the Black Ball Line charges for that crossing. Seems like I might have seen a guidebook around somewhere or other.

I dealt with BC Ferries alot when I was sailing competetivly on Van Isle, living in Seattle. 2:30 am - leave house to get to Horsehoe Bay (Tsawassen didnt leave early enough) in time to get to island in time to get to marina in time to get to boat in time to get to start in time. Sucked.

FWIW, there is decent climbing at Mt Erie in Anacortes.