• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Scrapple's got nothing on haggis.

P.G. Wodehouse has the following to say about haggis:

The fact that I am not a haggis addict is probably due to my having read Shakespeare. It is the same with many Englishmen. There is no doubt that Shakespeare has rather put us off the stuff.... You remember the passage to which I refer? Macbeth happens upon the three witches while they are preparing the evening meal. They are dropping things into the cauldron and chanting "Eye of newt and toe of frog, wool of bat and tongue of dog," and so on, and he immediately recognises the recipe. "How now, you secret, black and midnight haggis," he cries shuddering.

This has caused misunderstandings and has done an injustice to haggis. Grim as it is, it is not as bad as that-- or should not be. What the dish really consists of -- or should consist of -- is the more intimate parts of a sheep chopped up fine and blended with salt, pepper, nutmeg, onions, oatmeal, and beef suet. But it seems to me that there is a grave danger of the cook going all whimsey and deciding not to stop there. When you reflect that the haggis is served up with a sort of mackintosh round it, concealing its contents, you will readily see that the temptation to play a practical joke on the boys must be almost irresistible. Scotsmen have their merry moods, like all of us, and the thought must occasionally cross the cook's mind that it would be no end of a lark to shove in a lot of newts and frogs and bats and dogs and then stand in the doorway watching the poor simps wade into them....

An odd thing--ironical, you might say-- in connection with haggis is that it is not Scottish. In an old cook book, published 1653, it is specifically mentioned as an English dish called haggas or haggus, while France claims it as her mince (hachis) going about under an alias. It would be rather amusing if it turned out that Burns was really a couple of Irish boys named Pat and Mike. hahaha.gif

Horrid aint the word for Green Bay--ask the ramones. But I gotta say this for them: they're true fans. I've driven by Lambeau Field on a couple 0 degree Sundays to see it packed with cars for an away game. They name streets after players, re-bulb their christmas lights to green and gold, and get married in packer-themed tuxedos. Even when the Packers sucked for like 20 years, they supported them--hard to understand in a town that abandons the Mariners when they're below .500. And hard to understand if you're not a serious sports fan, which i am definitely not.

bigdrink.gif

Horrid aint the word for Green Bay--ask the ramones. But I gotta say this for them: they're true fans. I've driven by Lambeau Field on a couple 0 degree Sundays to see it packed with cars for an away game. They name streets after players, re-bulb their christmas lights to green and gold, and get married in packer-themed tuxedos. Even when the Packers sucked for like 20 years, they supported them--hard to understand in a town that abandons the Mariners when they're below .500. And hard to understand if you're not a serious sports fan, which i am definitely not.

bigdrink.gif

This is all good in theory, but maybe you didn't have to grow up in a state that is next to them. Yeah, they supported them... but they also believed that every single year was going to be "their year" and expected that they would win the superbowl regardless of their lack of talent. Trask's article pointed out to the Green Bay fans to "get a grip, please . . . People still struggling with the loss [should] look closer at their lives to see if there are other causes for their problems." ... a point I have been struggling to get across to all Green Bay fans I have known throughout my whole life.

When I was in junior high one of my buddies and our girlfriends at the time rode a church bus to go skiing. We met at the church goers house and her mom(originally from Iowa) fed us full of scrapple - which tasted like shit - making some comment about it sticking to the ribs. Well about 2 hours later while crammed in the bus the church going gal pukes scrapple all over herself and everyone around her. Luckily I was a few seats away so she missed me. My first and only experience with scrapple.