FYI NWAC special advisory

Fairweather

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I just don't know what else to call it when I do a thing or a trip or something for research....I certainly don't mean to be pretentious, just don't have another word handy.

EDIT: The Great Muffy suggests "field trip", which I like just fine. If only I'd thought of it in time to not get sprayed on by the big tomcats on the site. Meow! hahaha.gif

Edited by marylou

Chicken-

I can't quite tell what you meant, but if you are implying that you think it nuts to go on an avalanche-prone slope to dig a pit to evaluate the avalanche hazard, you may be correct but that is pretty much what you have to do if you are going to evaluate the hazard on that particular slope. You can't dig a pit in the trees and expect it to be representative of that open avalanche slope nearby.

Frequently, we try to pick a slope of similar aspect and steepness that may be representative of that big nasty avalanche slope nearby but not quite as dangerous because it is smaller or it may not be perched over a cliff, but even in this case we must realize that our "sample" may not be the same as the other slope. Indeed, quite often we DO in fact cautiously venture onto the slope in question in order to dig a pit. Nuts?