Lil'o'wet Update

oldgoat

Merry Xmas Merrycans,

Just a short update to let you know the state of ice climbing along the Duffy and elsewhere.

The Rambles: Still in and still fun!

Carlsberg: Solid WI5 along the right hand side.

The Tube: Getting hacked out and hollow.

Loose Lady: See previous posts.

Red Wall Wanderers: Appears to be in.

Everything else looks like it has melted out or is only partially formed.

In Marble Canyon ICBC is in but thin, as is the Dihedral. Everything else is @ the TR stage. Pink Cadillac is now fully bolted and awaits its FA (tentative grade is M8).

Further to the south, Oregon Jack is in and fun as always.

For those of you that wish to bring your cows ice climbing with you, you should probably check out this website Mad Cow

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

old goat:

planning several days, with new years eve in lillooet - ought to be a hoot! i'll give u a call...

dru:

wasn't there a tale floating around a few years ago about guy doing exactly the same thing?

of course, then there was bruce kay's remark, as he and his partner contemplated exactly the same exercise, that if the dagger snapped off "it'd squash you like a bug!" having been up there to unsuccessfully try shreddie [i couldn't keep my tools in the puke, and fell off...], i'd have to agree. there is no good place to hide at the belay - the whole goddamm column looms above you like a nightmare. gotta say the rock behind the column looked pretty climbable, tho...)

maybe craig and beeker were able to sidle out right and get a belay on the rock. whatever, a strong performance - no surprise from these two!

tks for the reminder, fern.

i checked the new MEC route book: craig and chris installed a bolt belay off to the right, which they say is safe from falling ice. they report 8 bolts on the rock face, then u get onto the ice. it's not clear how this differs (if at all) from what john and connie climbed in 99/0 - the dagger didn't touch down that year - in fact, it's likely only touched down once, in early '96 when "shreddie" was 1st climbed by john chilton and jia condon. it had a cpl repats that year too.

i consider the mixed line a completely different route than "shreddie", which was climbed completely on ice. provided you could get around the pillar from right to left (which i failed at), there was a reasonable groove up the left, then a hard traverse right was required, then "good grade V" to the top.

cheers,

Had 4 great days in Lillooet...2 with iceguy and 2 with Mrs. Bone.

It's nice and cold up there now and most everything is coming into fine shape.

All 3 pitches of Icy BC are in, and the pillar variation to the right of the 3rd pitch looks solid. It looks like the Diversons flows have been taken out. Wait for Spring is living up to its name. TR'd No Deductable, fun route(on toprope)! Got to lead Deeping Wall for the first time...fun route, its in great shape and takes good pro the whole way. bigdrink.gif

Even the bottom half of Honeyman was frozen up!