Magnetic Field/

Dan_Harris

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harry_Pi said:

Hello capitalist!

The earth is also flat. You people sound just like my brother, a total geek Post Hole Digger. rolleyes.gif

Thank you for allow asian to post.

Story of earth to flat is no certain at least not. Flat only a theory. Not to certainty.

Please go read you capitalist geology book before post you more here communist lies and propaganda. Geek_em8.gif

Fairweather said:

That computer simulation was run inputing 'all known data', but the show was light on specifics re that data. I've always been curious about the role that our unusually large moon and it's gravity plays in the formation of our planet's strong magnetic field. Catbird?

I don't know, but would surmise that tidal forces contribute heat to the earth's core along with radioactive decay. To the extent that the core remains molten tidal forces contribute. We do know that the distance of the moon's orbit from earth is constantly increasing. Angular momentum is being consumed by the energy dissapated by tidal forces.

I've often conjectured that the extinction of the dinosaurs might have been due to an abnormally prolonged duration in one of these non-field states. Or maybe I just thought it made for a good story. Nonetheless I remember learning about the Earth's pole reversals as a kid and thinking it was one of the coolest things I ever came to know. It still is that way, more or less.

There is no correlation between magnetic pole reversals and mass-extinctions (the Cretaceous-Tertiary mass extinction is only one of many). If you have a geologic hypothesis you can rest assured that someone else already came up with it before you, tested it, and found out that it was wrong. That goes for all of you. wave.gifboxing_smiley.gif