chopped bolts at Barney's Rubble in Leavenworth?

pete_a

Hi all,

Yesterday was my first trip out to Leavenworth for the year, and I went over to Barney's Rubble to set up a toprope and do a few easy warm up climbs. I hiked around to the top, and much to my suprise, all but two bolts had been chopped, and those bolts remaining had the hangers removed...I know they were there last spring....Does anyone know whats going on? Any reason for someone to chop the bolts? just curious...I did a search to see if this topic had been brought up before, but nothing came up. I still managed to get a t.r. set up using pro and a few slung boulders...but it would've been nice to just clip the bolts and go.

[ 04-08-2002: Message edited by: pete a ]

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

yes i was in lworth of over the weekend as well, outside of the icicle howl it ws quitre pleasent....

i too also noticed a bunch of different puzzling anchors setups througout the canyon.....like atleat 100ft of tat strewn about the cliffsides....some of it was tied on chockstones, other was just layting on the ground...i saw 100's of people who were capable of picking it up, but only saw was nice individual doing so.....bravo specialed, you re truly a warrior for the "tears of mother natures's dispair!!!!" salute!!!!!

remember people if you see garage remove it....and do not put raps stations where they do not exist or belong...........

too bad about your bolts on bruce's, i guess it is like it is in the mountains now...gotta come up with something.......

p.s. to the individuals who believe that i have the desire or the engery to remove such installations, bite me!!!!!

[ 04-08-2002: Message edited by: erik ]

quote:

Originally posted by pete a:
Hi all,

Yesterday was my first trip out to Leavenworth for the year, and I went over to Bruce's Boulder to set up a toprope and do a few easy warm up climbs. I hiked around to the top, and much to my suprise, all but two bolts had been chopped, and those bolts remaining had the hangers removed...I know they were there last spring....Does anyone know whats going on? Any reason for someone to chop the bolts? just curious...I did a search to see if this topic had been brought up before, but nothing came up. I still managed to get a t.r. set up using pro and a few slung boulders...but it would've been nice to just clip the bolts and go.

Most of the hangers on the right side of clamshell cave are missing as well. The theif had the courtesy to leave the bolts and nuts, so bring some hangers of your own. The hangers on the left side are all intact, since they've been epoxied into place and are apparently not worth the trouble of removing.

The hangers are also missing from the big boulder with the 5.7 handcrack. Bring some huge ass slings for the tree if you plan on running any of the problems on it.

Some of the anchors at Clamshell have been replaced by generous individuals who have donated time and materials.

If you use a huge ass sling on the tree for The Cube, prepare to toss them afterwards. That tree is oozing buckets of sap all around it.

quote:

Originally posted by viktor:
If you use a huge ass sling on the tree for The Cube, prepare to toss them afterwards. That tree is oozing buckets of sap all around it.

would that be from all the top roping that it has been used for???? i know last year in the valley the tool tried to shut down slack lining(read it is fun and the tool is agiast fun!!) , becuase of damage to the bark of trees....granted an enviromentally sound fix was found...thanks to tim brown jr and his apache ways.....

That kind of sucks. I once used those bolts to learn how to set up topropes since spire rock was always sucky I went there instead to learn in peace. I liked that place when I started out and still do too. It was a good learning spot. Perhaps the best one in the Icicle where you can go and learn how to not fuck up and get killed.

sorry all, guess I've got is backwards. The bolts were missing from the top of Barney's Rubble, Bruce's Boulder does still have the huge U-shaped metal t.r. hangers up top. Its Barney's thats missing the bolts. guess I didn't have enough coffee this morning or something...

[ 04-08-2002: Message edited by: pete a ]