Buying Boots in Italy

robert

I read here a while back that if you can get Italian made boots in Italy it can save a few bucks. Of course it should. My questions is, is it enough money to wait until I am over there in April, and make it worth packing around a pair of mountaineering boots when I am on a non-climbing vacation? If you have any experience with Italian gear shops I would appreciate hearing it. Our last stop is in Venice, so if you know of any good shops there that would be expecially helpful.

Thanks,

Robert fruit.gif

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

uhhhh, pack 'em up and mail 'em back to the US while you're over there...?

You could pay the shop owner whatever the going postal/shipping rate is, and just have him ship them directly home for you. Or to someone here you trust to pick them up for you so they don't get stolen off your front porch.

Caveat emptor: Pay with plastic, just in case (if you were to pay in cash, and the guy decides to stiff you, it's possible you might not ever see the boots). At least that way, you have recourse with your credit card company if things don't go your way.

Of course, if you pay cash and pick them up yourself, then you can ship them from any post office. My $0.02

Mailing them home is certainly an option. I expect to mail some clothes home mid-way through the trip. I am just uncertain whether it is worth it to wait. I can't find any Italian Mountaineering Stores online to check prices versus what I could find here at home.

Actually, I found a link on the Zamberlan website that lists their distributers. For Italy it said to contact them for store locations. I am waiting to hear back. The La Sportiva Italian site lists dealers, but the dealers don't seem to have sites. It is a bit difficult as I can't read exactly what they are saying, but the google translate this page helps. I was hoping that someone would be able to say "yeah way cheaper" or "cheaper but not worth the effort". Of course the weak dollar against the strong Euro could negate any savings.

Robert if you are going to do this go to a shop that makes the boots custom for you feet. I had a pair made Austria many years ago. They were the best boots ever!!! Break in was sooooo EZ. The original Swallows Nest too the measurements and sent them to a fella in Austria. Go custom if you can you'll never regret it. smile.gif

I checked out some climbing stores in Slovakia, Croatia and the Czech Republic. I didn't think there was any great savings on gear--quite surprising really given the strength of the dollar at the time.

Why don't you check out Barrabes online and look at their local prices? (i.e. don't look at the U.S. pages). That might be a good barometer.

rbw1966 said:Why don't you check out Barrabes online and look at their local prices? (i.e. don't look at the U.S. pages). That might be a good barometer.

Remember if you spend over a certain amount (last I looked it was $300 or so) you can get the G.S.T refunded, so you should drop 15% or so from the price.