Puerta Vallarta

rr666

I'm heading to Puerta Vallarta for a week just after Xmas, and I am looking for info on stuff to do down there outside of the standard tourist things. Particularly any day hikes, climbs, or other active things to do.

Anyone done anything fun down there?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can afford it, take the flight to visit the Huichols way back in the Sierra Madre? mountains. They are direct descendants of either the incas or anasazi or considered the link between the two. Check out Vallarta Adventures or don't worry, they'll find you on the beach! You will truly take a step back in time. We were some of the first white folk to ever visit them and my son was definitely the first white child their children had ever seen. It was so cool to see their eyes when they spotted him. While the Huichols relish their isolation and visiting them seems like a total violation of their traditions, it is actually they who have invited the tourists. They are renowned for their exquisit bead art and rely on the sales for income. unfortunately it has become too difficult to get the stuff to town for sale and they do better to sell it directly to the tourists up there. We were flown by a Mexican National Geographic pilot who was very infomative. My at the time 5 year old son got to be co-pilot! We even got to circle a volcano on the way back.

About 90 miles south is Chamela with really nice beach and cheap Tiki huts to stay in. We were there exactly this time and we had the place to ourselves. On December 15, it will be slammed as that is start of tourist season. We actually rented a small jeep and toured way back in the mountains for a week. There is small ex-mining (now coffee) town (San Sebastian?) worth visiting. It was a very cool experience as everything is all about cowboys in the true sense of the word. Everywhere we went they were amazed to see us and "no tourists" ever visited them back there! They were so friendly and nice.

It's worth it to take the watertaxi from the south end out to the places accesible only by boat. We stopped at the one with the waterfall you hike too. The last stop is pretty touristy I heard.

You can go bungy jumping, hike the canyon where they shot the movie Predator (gov of ca starring) and party all night long. Still, I'd rent the small jeep and explore the remote mountains. I had fun driving back there! There is actually a huge canyon (as big or bigger than the Grand Canyon back there too.) We went in from PV and came out via a town called Talpa.

PM me if you want more detailed beta.

David_Parker said:

It's worth it to take the watertaxi from the south end out to the places accesible only by boat. We stopped at the one with the waterfall you hike too. The last stop is pretty touristy I heard.

You can go bungy jumping, hike the canyon where they shot the movie Predator (gov of ca starring) and party all night long. Still, I'd rent the small jeep and explore the remote mountains. I had fun driving back there! There is actually a huge canyon (as big or bigger than the Grand Canyon back there too.) We went in from PV and came out via a town called Talpa.

The hike to the waterfall was interesting but the waterfall sucked. People had spray painted shit all over the walls and it was just dirty. The resturant on the beach was cool though. The food was good and really cheap.

I would say the Bull Fights was cool.

Take a walk down the street of the old part of town. That was cool.

Hit a Fiesta. thumbs_up.gif Those are cool.

We rented a sailboat and went out sailing and diving. That was cool.

If you bought a package deal. They should have someone there for you who will schedule your days to best suit you. Beware not to schedule behind their backs. They do not like that.

Have fun.

The hike to the waterfall was interesting but the waterfall sucked. People had spray painted shit all over the walls and it was just dirty. The resturant on the beach was cool though. The food was good and really cheap.

This sounds like the island of Yelapa...it's been 20 years, but it sucked back then. From the beach you wade through Cholera Creek and march up the path to a grubby little waterfall. Better to sit on the beach and continue drinking, as you likely did on the boatride over.

As I remember, it was a two or three hour boatride, and we spotted a blue whale (I think it was a blue) along the way. One of my buddies cut a fart belowdecks that made several people head for the rail to barf. hahaha.gif

Go to sayulita. It's about 45 minutes north of PV on the coast by bus. My friend Shanti and I went there for the surfing about 5 years ago. After spending a week there, we took the bus into PV and it felt like we'd warped into SoCal or something. While I've heard its changed somewhat, sayulita was a sleepy cheap little fishing town. If you've never tried surfing, the break is a nice mellow longboard wave--both rights and lefts. There's a guy in town who rents boards. Just don't drop in on Tigre.

The waterfall stop is before Yelapa which is not on an island, but the mainland penninsula where no roads go. Yeah, the waterfall trail was covered in horseshit, but I guess I had fun cause I was with my kid. I agree, the beach was better. I ordered a red snapper off the menu and the next thing I see is the waiter running down the beach. I think he went to find a fisherman to get one! An hour later I got the meal, but it was cool cause all I was doing was drinking cervesa under an umbrella.

I couldn't find a decent sea kayak in all of PV, but if you could, that would be most excellent. I did take out a squirt sea kayak and went through some caves and tunnels at some sea stacks just off shore where they like to take tourons snorkling. The scuba diving was ok but the Pacific is never as good as the Carribean.

Edited by David_Parker

Go a little further up North from Sayulita on the public bus, maybe half an hour, to Tepic. Not a lot of tourists there, but it's a travelers town with an honest taste of Mexico and a great market. If you ask around, somebody will point you to the right corner to pick up a lift to Chacala. Chacala is heaven on earth. It really is a sleepy little fishing town on a half moon bay. Sleep on the beach for about two bucks a night, eat fresh fish at one of the palapa restaurants. I haven't been there since '96, but it was truly off the beaten path then, but well worth it. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Edited by Toast