directions to rap wall?

jonah

hey. i just moved here, and was hoping for directions to the rap wall and beta on the routes (i.e. names and ratings right to left). Looks like fun.

Also, are there any regulations on bolting around alpental? Looks like there's some great potential right by the road for some nice steep sport/mixed routes.

Thanks in advance for any help

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonah -

In my view, right by the road would probably be the number one place where you should NOT put up new bolted climbs at Snoqualmie Pass -- or perhaps the number two place, with the number one place being anywhere the designated ski areas. I know there are some places where we coexist OK with other users, but why set up a potential conflict? Instead, walk a few minutes up the hill or down the trail....or are you just trolling?

I wasn't thinking about bolting a roadcut, actually, but the cliff bands about 500-1000 vertical feet above the road on the side near the ski hill as you enter Alpental, and on what i think is snoqualmie mountain on the right side of the road.

I'm very sensitive about access issues; I've done quite a bit of legal work for the access fund. Sensitivity does not mean simply not climbing in areas where other users may see us, though. Climbing is not a criminal activity. It looks like this area has a lot of potential and some well-thought-out development could be great.

Obviously, I'm a complete outsider, so I really appreciate everyone's input here.

Agreed, Jonah, that climbing SHOULD NOT be a criminal activity. It is sometimes unfairly treated as such because we are a poorly organized user group, but other times it is not at all surprising to me when property owners, resort operators, or public land managers get upset because we develop and promote a climbing area that may be right next to somebody's condo or within the bounds of a ski area or right along a highway. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not -- and I commend you if you are one of the "sensitive" ones.

Not everybody views it as I do, and I've been criticized or countered when I raised this issue in the past. However, all things beinq equal I think we should favor areas that are out of view from the roadside and well away from any ski area.

By the way, that ridge on Denny Mountain, on the left as you approach Alpental, has already seen steady climbing activity for something like thirty years or more -- so a new bolted climb there might indeed end up being superimposed on something long-established.