Ozone layer 'sacrificed'

j_b

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/environment/story.jsp?story=466406

Ozone layer 'sacrificed' to lift re-election prospects

By Geoffrey Lean, Environment Editor

23 November 2003

President George Bush has brought the international treaty aimed at repairing the Earth's vital ozone layer close to breakdown, risking millions of cancers, to benefit strawberry and tomato growers in the electorally critical state of Florida, The Independent on Sunday can reveal.

His administration is insisting on a sharp increase in spraying of the most dangerous ozone-destroying chemical still in use, the pesticide methyl bromide, even though it is due to be phased out under the Montreal Protocol in little more than a year. And it has threatened that the United States could withdraw from the treaty's provisions altogether if its demand is not met.

[...]

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Trask, you are so clueless. I took Physical Chemistry from the scientist who co-discovered the effect of chlorofluorocarbons on ozone, Dr. Sherwood Rowland. One of the things I remember is that bromine is far worse than chlorine in its potential to destroy ozone. There are other soil fumigants they can use besides methyl bromide. They just cost a little more. Do you want your kids to have an increased chance of skin cancer? I don't think so. The science is real. Believe it.